Yes, I'm doing more questions lifted from Sunday Stealing this week. My brain is too tired to think of anything original.
01. First Job: Babysitting. Big surprise, right?
02. First Record: I can’t think of a specific title, but we had numerous
Disney records as kids.
03. First Sport Played: T-ball, summer between second and third grades. Never played it again.
04. First Concert: First played in, or first attended? Because there were a lot of orchestra concerts grades 4 through 11. First non-school concert attended was
at Alpine Valley. Billy Joel
05. First Country Visited:
—I was an exchange student while in high school. Norway
06. First Speech: The first speech I remember was in 4th grade, on national parks in
. In grade 5 there was a report on Colorado , one on Germany (we all had to choose a different state; Iowa was not my first choice), and a group one on the Pueblo Indians (we had to present these to the entire school). Iowa
07. First Encounter with a Famous Person: The m
ayor (I think it was the major, though it could have been the governor—I'm not feeling inclined to search for the class photo I have to verify) visited my fourth grade classroom, and I had regular contact in high school with local YA author —she was active in local schools, and even led a writer’s club for a year at my high school. Jocelyn Riley
08. First Brush With Death: Nearly falling off
Pikes Peak when I was 5. It was snowing and slippery. The quick reflexes of an older sister saved me.
09. First House/Flat Owned: Have never owned a house or condo, just rent an apartment. What I wouldn't give for a sound-proof condo!
10. First Film Seen at a Cinema: It was a
Disney film, either Bambi, Dumbo or Sleeping Beauty . . . I saw them all before kindergarten, I just don’t know in which order.
11. First Media Appearance (Radio, Newspaper, TV): Grade school. My photo was in the local paper when I was in third grade for winning a bike in a bike safety contest.
12. First Book You Remember Reading: There are three I remember: Why Can’t I Fly?, My Cat Likes to Hide in Boxes, and
Sophie and Gussie—all purchased through the Weekly Reader catalog (anyone else remember those?).
13. First Pet: We had a lot of cats and dogs growing up. The first I really remember is Duchess, a German shepherd.
Click here to find more Thursday Thirteen participants.