Wednesday, March 26, 2014
To close out National Reading Month, here are a few quotes on reading.
1. "A book is a device to ignite the imagination."
― Alan Bennett, The Uncommon Reader
2. "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers."
― Charles William Eliot
3. "Reading is to the mind, what exercise is to the body. As by the one, health is preserved, strengthened, and invigorated: by the other, virtue (which is the health of the mind) is kept alive, cherished, and confirmed."
- Joseph Addison
4. "No matter what his rank or position may be, the lover of books is the richest and the happiest of the children of men."
- J.A. Langford
5. "The habit of reading is the only enjoyment I know in which there is no alloy. It lasts when all other pleasures fade. It will be there to support you when all other resources are gone. It will be present to you when the energies of your body have fallen away from you. It will last you until your death. It will make your hours pleasant to you as long as you live."
- Anthony Trollope
6. "A first book has some of the sweetness of a first love."
- Robert Aris Willmott
7. "No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting."
- Lady M. W. Montagu
8. "Of all the things which man can do or make here below, by far the most momentous, wonderful, and worthy are the things we call books."
- Thomas Carlyle
10. "The love of books is a love which requires neither justification, apology, nor defense."
- J.A. Langford
11. "All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they had really happened and after you are finished reading one you will feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it all belongs to you; the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse and sorrow, the people and the places and how the weather was."
- Ernest Hemingway
12. "Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home."
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
13. "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go."
― Dr. Seuss, I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!
More Thursday Thirteen lists