Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Thursday Thirteen 358: Recently Read

My last Recently Read post of the year! Here's a look at what I've read the last couple months. For a fifth consecutive year, I have successfully completed my Goodreads challenge of 100 books in a year  and I did it before Christmas this year. Last year I was struggling to get that last book in before New Year's Eve. It will be interesting to see how many over I go this year. As always, click on any cover to find out more about a book.














BOOK NOTES

ROW 1: I started November by catching up on a couple books in the "Pepper Martin" series by Casey Daniels, Dead Man Talking (#5) and Tomb With a View (#6). Three more to go . . . The Mournful Teddy was read for a November mini challenge and is first in a "Bear Collectors" series.

ROW 2: Under the Hill is a short mystery story by Sheila Connolly that is currently free at B&N and Amazon. Biting the Moon and Dakota are books one and two respectively in the "Andi Oliver" series by Martha Grimes. Dakota was chosen for a "Read the USA" mystery challenge (North Dakota was one of several difficult states to find). I recommend reading these in order, as I did. Also note that both contain gritty material some readers may not like.

ROW 3: I am trying to catch up on Lisa Scottoline's books, beginning with Think Twice, (Rosato & Associates #11). Two more to go there, as well as a couple non-series books. The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster is a classic children's book I had never read before and loved. I highly recommend this to writers and those who love word play. The Painted Veil by W. Somerset Maugham was read for a quarterly group read. I liked this one a lot more than anticipated.

ROW 4: The Aristocrat by Catherine Coulter is a slightly older romance plucked out of Mount TBR for an "Autumn/Fall" challenge. A White Cougar Christmas is a Christmas novella that is currently free at B&N and Amazon. I won The Heart of Christmas by Brenda Novak through a contest at Goodreads. It is book seven in her "Whiskey Creek" series, but other than some confusion on relationships, I didn't feel I missed much by not reading the previous six books.

ROW 5: Book number 100 in my Goodreads annual challenge is by a favorite author, Vicki Lewis Thompson. A Last Chance Christmas is book seventeen in her "Sons of Chance" series.



YOUR TURN: What are you reading right now?


LINKING TO: Thursday Thirteen




16 comments:

Forgetfulone said...

I have read The Phantom Tollbooth, but maybe I should check out some other books on your list.

Heather said...

Forgetfulone: Isn't that a great story? ☺

Jennifer Leeland said...

Ooooh I'll have to check out some of the free ones. Your posts often leave my wallet whimpering. LOL!!!

colleen said...

The only way I can compete with your reading prowess is to list all the articles I've read in the last couple of weeks!

Paige Tyler said...

Dibs on the cowboy! :)

*hugs*
Paige

My TT is at http://paigetylertheauthor.blogspot.com

Heather said...

Jennifer: Hehe...sorry about the whimpering wallet. I'm sure you'll like at least one of those free ones. *G*

Colleen: Daily newspaper reading (whether real or virtual) can really add up, depending how many news sites one visits, and the articles one peruses.

Paige: Sorry, he's mine! ☺

Kimberly Menozzi said...

The Phantom Tollbooth! So many memories! :D As always, an interesting and varied selection. Thanks for sharing! :)

Heather said...

Kimberly: Ah, another Phantom Tollbooth fan. *G*

Alice Audrey said...

Looks like that challenged fits you well.

Mia Celeste said...

I always love to know what you're reading because you read a lot of good books and I'm always looking for something good to read. Thanks for sharing. I've seen the movie based on The Painted Veil. I wonder if the book is like the movie. I wish they'd make a Phantom Tollbooth movie because I loved that book as a kid.

http://otherworlddiner.blogspot.com/2014/12/so-you-think-you-know-your-christmas.html

CountryDew said...

I don't think I've read any of these, but Martha Grimes' name is familiar. I am impressed at your reading prowess. I haven't been able to read as much since I went to progressive lenses. It is amazing how much being able to see well affects reading (and your eyes).

Heather said...

Mia: Thank you, I'm glad people appreciate these posts. I haven't seen the movie version of The Painted Veil, either, and it turns out there WAS an animated movie based on The Phantom Tollbooth, featuring the voice of Mel Blanc. I'm surprised they haven't done a live-action version, though.

Heather said...

Anita: Thank you. I suppose I am lucky to be nearsighted -- I may not be able to see where I am going, but I can read for hours without wearing my glasses. *G*

Heather said...

Alice: Oops, I almost missed your post. For the most part, I have done well with this challenge, though I did struggle in meeting my goal last year and just got the last book in by NYE.

Alice Audrey said...

If you didn't have to struggle now and then it wouldn't be much of a challenge,right? But you don't want one that will overwhelm you, either.

Heather said...

Alice: True. I feel overwhelmed enough by life in general these days. :-\