Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Thursday Thirteen 93: Snow Leopard Totems

Last week I awoke from a dream, the only detail I could remember being a snow leopard. It seemed imperative that I remember that one detail. Since the hawk began appearing to me a year ago, I’ve tried to pay more attention to animal totems, to the messages they are purported to carry…the wisdom and lessons they impart. A totem is an animal spirit whose characteristics serve as a guide. You can have the same totem(s) your entire life; at other times a new one will appear to offer guidance during a crucial moment. Since the Snow Leopard seemed of such great significant in this dream, I naturally had to learn more about it.

1. Snow Leopards tend to be loners, quite comfortable with themselves, though often drawn to other solitary people. (Um...yep, that would be me.)
2. Snow Leopard Souls are here in part to learn the lesson of Self Reliance. Like the animal that has a mostly solitary life, the person with this totem will encounter many situations in life which develop the ability to rely upon and trust the inner Self. (Often more than one would like)
3. This does not mean that they are undesirous of finding a mate/companionship, merely that they often do their best thinking and problem solving alone. They require frequent time alone with their own thoughts and feelings. Lack of alone time may leave them out of sorts. (Again, definitely me--I have to have my alone time or I get snarly.)
4. It is believed that the Leopard Spirit walks between the Physical World and the Spirit Realm, making them highly intuitive or possessive of psychic ability.
5. They can develop clairaudience, the ability to hear communications from other forms of life or dimensions. Thoughts and inner visions should be trusted as they are based in reality.
6. Snow Leopards’ keen powers of observation make it difficult for others to keep secrets from them, though they are excellent repositories of untold secrets themselves. (Yep, that's also me--everyone's confidant.)
7. Snow Leopards are silent and inconspicuous hunters, moving in and out of situations without being seen. This invisibility allows them to observe situations they encounter with clarity. Those with this totem have strong intuitive abilities. They are highly sensitive people who need to pay attention to how they feel and react accordingly.
8. Because leopards kill by biting the back of the neck and do not attack their prey from the front, those with Leopard energy may have difficulty confronting conflict head on. This can be both beneficial and harmful. Part of the Leopard’s teaching is how to conquer conflict in a balanced way. (Have I mentioned how much I hate conflict?)
9. People with this totem are capable of doing a variety of tasks at one time, but must learn to pace themselves, and not push too hard. (I am indeed a great multitasker.)
10. Snow Leopard people have strong bodies but must remember to release pent up anger, frustrations and other emotions or physical health issues related to the limbs and the skeleton can occur (example: stress felt in neck or shoulders, or arthritis).
11. The Snow Leopard calls for the integration between Personality and Soul, Shadow and Light, Unconsciousness and Conscious Awareness. It calls for introspection, for absorbing and acknowledging a lesson learned.
12. Leopards have a great inner strength and determination, as well as an awareness of the Shadow Self, which they face with quiet determination and perseverance. They are also able to see both the shadow and the light of others, a skill that can assist those who are not offended by their penetrating insight. Of course, their ability to see others for who they really are can also make many enemies.
13. Truth, honesty and integrity are cornerstones of the fundamental being of a Snow Leopard. People with this totem are highly responsible beings, sometimes to a fault.


LINKS TO OTHER THURSDAY THIRTEENS:

Stephanie Adkins * Mel * Adelle Laudan
Jenna Allen * Alice Audrey * Tempest Knight
Shelley Munro * Gattina * Thornesworld * Colleen
Ms Menozzi * Inez Kelley * Karen * Jenn
Kandyblossom * Paige Tyler * My Expressions
Jana * Janice Seagraves * Nicholas * Mary

(leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others’ comments. It’s easy, and fun! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things.

Sources:
Self Reliance
The Leopard
Power Animals and Their Sources




22 comments:

Unknown said...

How kewl. Fscinating stuff.
Happy T13!

Anonymous said...

I think maybe I'm and anti-snow leopard. I've been busy learning how to rely on people instead of how not to rely on them.

Shelley Munro said...

Cool TT. I think snow leopards are beautiful. I'm feeling left out. I never dream about animals.

Gattina said...

Some of their qualities cats have too. Interesting post !

Anonymous said...

Good stuff. (and good that you're paying attention!)
p with 13 Thorne-Quirks
Happy TT!

Ms Menozzi said...

That was both intriguing and fascinating. I love seeing how these visions impact other people's lives (it reassures me that I'm not nuts for feeling the same way).

Thanks for sharing the info and telling how it relates to you. It's great for writing, as well, don't you think?

Ciao!
Happy TT!

Anonymous said...

Great facts! I love snow leopards. They are SO beautiful. Happy Thursday! *hugs*

Anonymous said...

I had the reoccurring dream that I'm still married to my first husband. In the dream I always think 'how did I let this happen?'

My totem is crow.

Inez Kelley said...

beautiful animals

Karen said...

That is an interesting list... I love to learn about something new and this is a great way to do it.

Heather said...

Adelle - Isn't it?

Alice - LOL...Nothing wrong with relying on others once in a while. I wish *I* had more people I could rely on.

Shelley - They are beautiful! Animls seem to make a regular appernace in my dreams, though usually the average cat. I pay more attention when it's something out of the ordinary like a snow leopard or a hedgehog.

Gattina - Thank you. Yes, domestic cats do share some of the traits of their larger relatives.

Thormesworld - Thank you!

kandyblossom said...

Interesting list and very beautiful animals.

Happy TT!

Paige Tyler said...

Very cool TT! And that's a beautiful pic!

*hugs*
Paige

My TT is at http://paigetylertheauthor.blogspot.com/

My expressions LIVE said...

Wow....I learned a lot....see many similarites in our cat!

Anonymous said...

Such an informative T 13. They are amazing animals.

Heather said...

Ms Menozzi - Glad to reassure you and yes, it can be great for writing as well as real life.

Stephanie - Thank you.

Colleen - Hmm...must be a reason he keeps reappearing. Maybe related to what the crow teaches (making peace with the past)?

Inez - Yes, they are...all grace and power!

Karen - Thank you, and thanks for stopping by!

Heather said...

Kandyblossom - Thank you, glad you liked!

Paige - Thanks!

MyExpressions - Thanks for visiting!

Jenn - Thank you, and thanks for stopping by!

Jana said...

I could totally be a snow leopard. I nodded just about the whole way through the list. LOL

Anonymous said...

very interesting TT!

Mary said...

Interesting info, and snow leopards are gorgeous to boot!

Heather said...

Jana - LOL!

Nicholas - Thank you.

Mary - Aren't they gorgeous? Thanks for visiting!

Janice Seagraves said...

Interesting tie in with your snow leopard dreams. I think dreams some times can give us the answers that we seek.

Happy TT.

Janice~