Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Thursday Thirteen 210: Harry Potter Trivia




Unless you've been living under a rock, you all know that the final Harry Potter movie, Deathly Hallows Part 2 (or HP7.2) hits most theaters this Friday at midnight. In honor of such, I thought I'd share a bit of trivia about the books by JK Rowling and the movies based on them. You can also scroll down to this week's Teaser Tuesday post.

1. The first book, Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (or Sorcerer’s Stone, in the US) was published in the UK in June 1997 and in the US in Sept 1998. In 1999, the first three books of the series (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban) occupied the top three spots on numerous adult bestseller lists.

2. The fourth book, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, was published in July 8, 2000 in the UK, US, Canada and Australia with a record print run of 1 million copies in the UK and 3.8 million in the US—it broke all records for the number of books sold in the first weekend of publication. Each successive book has set new records.

3. The last book in the series, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, is the fastest selling book in both the US and UK, with over 450 million copies worldwide.

4. The Harry Potter series has been translated into 69 languages in over 200 territories around the world. The series has enchanted young and old, and new readers are discovering the books every day.

5. There are three related books to the seven volume series: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, Quidditch Through the Ages, and The Tales of Beedle the Bard. All were written by Rowling for charity.

6. The first movie, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, opened in the UK in November 2001 and quickly became the number two film of all time. The gross revenue over the first seven films: $6,343,865,842

7. The eight films have seen four different directors: Chris Columbus (HP1, HP2), Alfonso Cuaron (HP3), Mike Newell (HP4), and David Yates (HP5, 6, 7.1 and 7.2).

8. Daniel Radcliffe was selected for the role of Harry Potter after a 7-month search. The roles of Hermione Granger (Emma Watson) and Ron Weasley (Rupert Grint) were cast from among thousands of auditioning children. Although Radcliffe had prior film experience, Watson and Grint's only previous experience was in school plays.



9. Since the first movie came out in 2001, there has only been one major casting change, when Michael Gambon succeeded Richard Harris in the role of Professor Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore in the third movie, after Harris' unexpected death in Oct 2002.



10. There has been one other character change: the appearance of Professor Flitwick (Warwick Davis) was changed after the first two movies. Davis also plays the goblin Griphook in the first and last two movies. Older viewers may remember him from his leading roles in Willow and Leprechaun.



11. Harry's famous scar has been created by make-up artists about 5,800 times, not only on Daniel Radcliffe, who has had the scar applied approx 2,000 times, but also on his doubles and stunt doubles.

12. Every wand in the film series is unique, including those by twins Fred and George Weasley. Daniel Radcliffe wore out nearly 70 wands during the making of the films. You can see more and order your very own here.



13. The actor who plays Prof. Lupin (David Thewlis) originally auditioned for the role of Prof. Quirrel. Considering how much longer Lupin's been around, I'm sure he doesn't regret losing that first part.


Have you read the books? Seen the movies? Do you plan to see the final film out this weekend?




LINKS TO OTHER THURSDAY THIRTEENS:(Please leave your link if this is your first visit!)
Maddy Barone * Janice Seagraves * Shelley Munro
Xakara * Ron * K Taylor * Janet * CountryDew
Paige Tyler * Adelle Laudan * KS Manning



20 comments:

Shelley Munro said...

Cool facts. I'm going to check out the wand site. I think I need one.
I haven't seen the last two movies, but I've read all the books. It's such a great series.

Xakara said...

I can barely wait for tomorrow, but at the same time, I can't really conceive of it ending.

It's hard to believe the four of them, (Daniel Radcliff, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint, and Tom Felton) are adults now and going on to grown parts that will traumatize me every time I think of them and how little they were in Sorceror's Stone. *sigh*

Happy T13,

~Xakara
CFS Symptoms

Heather said...

Shelley: That wand site was a really cool find. It's amazing how unique every character's wand is.

Xakara: I don't know if I'm going to make it to the movie this weekend, but I can definitely say it won't be a midnight showing (unlike a couple of friends). And so true about possibly being traumatized by the future roles of these young stars, LOL.

Ron. said...

So....This Potter guy is some kinda wizard, I take it? I'll hafta look him up. Never heard of him. (heh heh heh)

K. Taylor said...

Seen the movies. We have tickets to the midnight show tonight.

Janet said...

Best T13 this week! Am I a bit prejudiced? Maybe... ;)

CountryDew said...

I did not read the books until the fourth one came out, and I started there, went backwards, and then picked up the rest as they came along. I have seen all the movies as they came out. I don't know that I will go this weekend but I will see this last movie in the theater.

Paige Tyler said...

We so love the books! The movies, too, but theres something special about the books!

*hugs*
Paige

My TT is at http://paigetylertheauthor.blogspot.com/

Heather said...

Ron: Funny... *snicker*

K Taylor: Enjoy the final movie!

Janey: LOL...Yes, I thought you might approve of this on, being so fond of Prof. Snape as you are. *g*

Heather said...

Anita: I also came to the books late, not until after I'd seen the third or fourth movie, but read them in order, only just finishing the books last week. Will definitely be seeing it in the theater, whether we go this weekend or next.

Paige: Yes, there is definitely something magical about the books. How else can you account for adults of all ages loving them as much as the kids they are geared towards?

Unknown said...

My daughter, a huge Harry Potter fan is going to the drive in tonight where they are playing Part 1 snd Part 2. She is so excited lol
She says she will probably cry when it's over, knowing it is the last one.
I still haven't read the series. I bought my girl each book in paperback as they came out,and afterwards, bought her each in hard cover to save untouched.

Heather said...

Adelle: That would be cool to see part one and two back to back--at any theater, but especially at the drive-in. And yeah...there is something bittersweet about knowing the series is over. I know a lot of people felt that way about the final book, and there are sure to be a lot of tears as the movie saga ends as well.

Mariposa said...

Wow...LOVE your entry!
Thanks a lot! Really enjoyed them!

Heather said...

Thanks, Mariposa! : )

Darla M Sands said...

Fun list! Happy movie going!

Maddy Barone said...

I've read all the books and seen some of the movies. M y fave character is Luna Lovegood.

Kwee Cats and Art said...

Cool list, and timely! We were just discussing Harry Potter here the other evening. I'm bringing your list to the dinner table tonight! Great fun. Thank you!

Janice Seagraves said...

My daughter love the series but I had a weepy child on my hands when Dumbledor died.

Janice~

Heather said...

Darla: Thanks you!

Maddy: Ah, Luna... She does grow on you, doesn't she? I was disappointed that she was one of the characters not mentioned in the last chapter. I mean, you hear about Neville, and you see Draco, but nothing about Luna, or George, or... Well. *g*

Heather said...

Kwee: Hehe...almost like I planned it, isn't it? I hope it made for a lively dinner conversation. *vbg*

Janice: Who WASN'T weepy during that chapter/scene?! *sniff*