Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Teaser Tuesday 222: The Swiss Family Robinson

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

* Grab your current book or recent read.
* Share a few "teaser" sentences from somewhere in the book.
* BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (Make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away. You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
* Share the title and author so that other participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teaser!




This week's teaser comes from another classic group read, The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann David Wyss. Mixed feelings on this one so far. Some may remember the 1960 Disney film based on the novel.


For many days we had been tempest-tossed. Six times had the darkness closed over a wild and terrific scene, and returning light as often brought only renewed distress, for the raging storm increased in fury until on the seventh day all hope was lost.

(Opening paragraph)






ABOUT THE BOOK:

The sea has been in a violent rage for many days. As the winds howled and the seas churned and boiled, the ship rolled and heaved in the gigantic waves. The crew and passengers grew more and more terrified. Suddenly--as if from the blow of a mighty fist--the ship broke apart....

All were lost. All but a pastor, his wife, and four sons: the Swiss Family Robinson.

Shipwrecked! Abandoned on a deserted tropical island with little more than a few simple tools--and each other--the family must use its intelligence, courage, ingenuity, and humor to survive. And each day brings yet another adventure...and danger.



22 comments:

Alice Audrey said...

You're reading THIS in the middle of a major T-storm? I'd have been cowering in the basement.

Isn't it a little late in the year for tornadoes?

Sandra Nachlinger said...

I've seen the movie more than once but never read the book. Now I will!
My Teaser is from MAJOR PETTIGREW'S LAST
STAND.

Cleopatra Loves Books said...

I struggled with this a child but I do like your teaser. Thanks for visiting my <a href="http://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com/2014/06/17/teaser-tuesday-june-17/Tuesday Teaser Teaser</a> (hopefully a good link this time ;-)

Cleopatra Loves Books said...

Or maybe not :-(

Heather said...

Alice: ROFL...I was well-past this scene during the storm last night. Unfortuntely, this is the time of year we see more tornadic activity. We fared better than Nebraska, but still a pretty scary night.

Heather said...

Sandy: I think I've seen parts of the movie - at least, I'm remembering a couple scenes I think are from this one, and which seem to correlate to what I've read so far of the book. Would definitely be interested in seeing it after the book.

Heather said...

Thanks, Cleo! I can understand why it would be difficult to get through as a child. He certainly doesn't write as if he were addressing children.

Heather said...

Cleo: I'm not laughing, really - though I do see the error.

(hopefully a good link this time

Kathy Martin said...

I haven't read the book but I do remember seeing the movie. Thanks for visiting my teaser. Happy reading!

Tracy said...

You know, I've never read this classic! I'm going to have to pick it up sometime soon. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I can't believe I have never read this one! I have seen the movie, though. Hope you are loving it.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Yvonne said...

I think I read the book years ago or maybe I just saw the movie. I can't remember now. LOL

Great teaser!

Heather said...

Kathy: Thanks for visiting, I hope you have good memories of the movie!

Heather said...

Tracy: Glad to have piqued your interest in the book. Enjoy! ☺

Heather said...

Laurel-Rain: I don't know about loving it, but the writing is good and it kept my mind preoccupied during last night's severe storms. I'll probably be up reading late again tonight. :-\

Heather said...

Yvonne: LOL...I know the feeling. While I know I've not read the book before, I can't remember if I've seen the movie.

Melissa O. said...

I've seen the movie so many times, I really ought to read this book -- great teaser!

Here's my TT post.

Greg said...

That's a good opening, and sets the scene right at the outset. I've enjoyed the movie in the past but have not read the book, but it's one I mean to get to. This makes me want to read it more!

Heather said...

Melissa: I take it you like the movie? I really must lay hands on a copy, so I can see how it compares to the book.

Heather said...

Greg: Glad the teaser makes you more interested in reading the book. So far it's been a pretty good adventure story.

Alice Audrey said...

Isn't there a lul in the middle of Summer?

Heather said...

Alice: Lull? Not really. While June is generally the most active time for tornadoes, we can see them into fall, depending on the weather. One of the worst outbreaks was August 2005, when we had 18 tornadoes across the region in one day.