Monday, October 26, 2009

Monday Movie Meme: Surprise Endings

Argh! Don't you love days when the computer refuses to cooperate with you? I tried posting this three or four times from work today, but for some reason the work computer was really boggy today. Ah well...better late than never, right?


So around these parts we are getting ready for Halloween. But we've already covered horror movies. There's always candy on Halloween, but we've already talked about movie snacks too. Of course those little ghosts and goblins planning to ring our doorbell for the candy will greet us with a chorus of Trick or Treat! We always avoid the tricks by giving them the treats. But we do enjoy tricks when they come in the form of a shocker movie ending. Share on your blog movies that you thought you had all figured out which then left you with your jaw hanging open in wonder at the final scene. Don't forget to link back here at The Bumbles so we can share recommendations and visit your fellow participants!


When I think surprise endings, there are two movies I instantly think of:

The Shawshank Redemption (1994) -- Fear can hold you prisoner. Hope can set you free. Two imprisoned men bond over a number of years, finding solace and eventual redemption through acts of common decency.

and

The Sixth Sense (1999) -- A boy who communicates with spirits that don't know they're dead seeks the help of a disheartened child psychologist. Was this not one of the best-kept secrets in movie endings ever??

Another weird movie with a surprise ending was Identity (2003). And when I say it was weird, I mean really out there. The plot: Stranded at a desolate Nevada motel during a nasty rainstorm, ten strangers become acquainted with each other when they realize that they're being killed off one by one.



5 comments:

The Bumbles said...

Well I do like the sound of Identity - as a viewer, not a participant!

Shawshank is one of my favorites. I have never read the short story - keep meaning to do that.

Chris said...

great picks! i think ive seen shawshank redemption too...

kayerj said...

I love Shawshank Redemption--Identity sounds intriguing. Thanks for stopping by today

Heather said...

Bumbles - I haven't read the story either, but I love the movie. I can practically guarantee you won't see the ending of Identity coming. ;)

Chris - I'm sure you'd remember it if you've seen it. Thanks for visiting!

Kaye - The premise of Identity was what prompted friends and I to rent it. It was pretty creepy!

Unknown said...

Loved Shawshank and Sixth Sense. I haven't seen Identity yet, but it's in my queue. Thanks for the tip, and for visiting!