Monday, September 12, 2011

9/11 Tributes and commercials

In many ways, it's hard to believe that ten years have passed since the horrific event that shook our nation. Yesterday was very much the same kind of day: a bright, clear, morning in September...a warm day with hardly a cloud in the sky. Though I did see some of the 9/11 coverage yesterday, I tried not to watch too much of it. A decade later, it's still difficult to watch the events we watched unfold at the World Trade Center in NYC.

Still, I couldn't resist watching 60 Minutes (interviews with a former FBI agent and his role in 9/11, and a doctor recording the stories of 9/11 first responders), or the Documentary, 9/11: Ten Years Later, that followed, part of which I had seen in 2002. It was also aired in September 2011 and 2005. I liked the updated version for the look back at the end to show the new memorial, the construction of the new Trade Cneter, and a look at where the men of Ladder 1 are now. I also noted the following commercials during various programming throughout the day, which are well-worth viewing (though you may need a Kleenex or two).


AdCouncil / I am an American

State Farm / Empire State of Mind

Verizon / Kids at Statue of Liberty

Budweiser Clydesdales




ETA: I added direct links to the "60 Minutes" stories--I hope they work!


3 comments:

Jana said...

I watched the thing on Lifetime 102 minutes that changed America--or whatever it was called--which was a collection of archive footage from 10 years ago. I cried a couple of times and my stomache twisted in knots the same as it did back then. It's good to remember lest we ever forget but sheesh, I prolly shouldn't've watched that.

Alice Audrey said...

Dang. The interview they have up now is with Obama about Bin Laden.

Heather said...

Jana: Don't have cable, so missed the Lifetime special. The documentary I watched was quite enough. Sniffle.

Alice: They do have the other interviews up, I'll edit my post as soon as I get a chance with direct links.