Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Thursday Thirteen 324: Authors/Series to Catch up On--Cozy Edition

March is National Reading Month. Last week I shared thirteen authors I need to catch up on. Here are thirteen more, all cozy mystery authors. If you like mysteries, but abhor blood, guts and violence, you might want to give cozies a try. I like suspense, but sometimes you want something a wee bit lighter. Click on any link to find out more about a particular author or series.



1. Sheila Connolly -- I have fallen behind in her Orchard series, with four to catch up on, and have four in her Museum series to read (with another out in June). Being that far behind in two series, I have decided to skip her new County Cork series. Connolly also writes as Sarah Atwell, and I have read one book in her Glassblowing series.


2. Kate Carlisle -- I read the first couple books in the Bibliophile series, have four to catch up on, am missing one, and book eight is out in June.


3. Casey Daniels -- I read the first four Pepper Martin books, but the last five are still sitting on my nightstand. I also have some of her Button Box books under her Kylie Logan pseudonym.

4. Nancy Pickard -- Read the first four in her Jenny Cain series, have six more in Mount TBR.


5. Aaron Elkins -- I read the first four of his Gideon Oliver/Skeleton Detective series, with twelve more in Mount TBR, and one newer volumn I do not yet have.

6. Michele Scott -- I read the first couple Wine Lovers books, and have five more in Mount TBR.


7. Annette Blair -- I've faired better with this author -- only two Vintage Magic books to catch up on. She also wrote the Accidental Witch and Triplet Witch trilogies -- two racey paranormal-romance series I enjoyed.


8. Susan Wittig Albert -- I read the first couple Beatrix Potter books, and have the last six to catch up on. I also have the first two China Bayles books to read -- out of 22. I am not going to acquire any more books in that series or her newer Darling Dahlias until I've caught up on those I already have.


9. Julie Hyzy -- I have three Manor House and four White House Chef books to read. I had trouble finding book two in the WH series, and I dislike reading series out of order so . . . I fell behind. There are also two books in the series I do not have yet.

10. Ellery Adams -- I am not as far behind with this author, only one book in the Books by the Bay series and two in the Charmed Pie Shoppe series. She also writes as JB Stanley, whose books I have not tried.


11. Nancy Atherton -- I am reading book nine of her Aunt Dimity series right now, with six more in Mount TBR and four I do not have yet.

12. Joyce and Jim Lavene -- I've read the first one or two books in a couple series of theirs, with a few more of each in Mount TBR: Missing Pieces, Sharyn Howard, Renaissance Faire. and Peggy Lee Garden. This couple also writes under a number of pseudonyms.


13 Charlaine Harris -- Most people only know her for the Southern Vampire/Sookie Stackhouse series (I still have the last two to read), but long before Sookie she wrote three cozy mystery series. I loved the Lily Bard series -- read a few years ago -- and Lily and husband made guest appearances in a couple of the Sookie books. I read two of the Aurora Teagarden series and have six more to read, plus there's the four-book Harper Connolly series.



Your turn -- Have you read any of these authors/series? Any of them catch your eye?


LINKING TO:
Thursday Thirteen





18 comments:

Shelley Munro said...

I've read the China Bayles series and also Michelle Scott's wine series.
My TT is about mysteries too this week

Shelley at Shelley Munro

Jenn Jilks said...

I don't think I've read them. What a great idea. Are these your photos of the spines? We usually get books from the library, and purchase any missing in a series and donate them.
I shall bookmark this and add some to me To Read list!

Colleen@Looseleafnotes said...

Probably the only name that jumped out at me in recognition was Beatrice Potter! Does Peter Rabbit count? Also, County Cork where my grandmother was born. Just got my TT up!

Heather said...

Shelley: GMTA, huh? Given your love of travel and all things historical, I think you would like Elkins' Gideon Oliver series.

Heather said...

Hi Jennifer! Yes, these are all my photos. I tend to pick up as many as I can from the library's monthly used book sale (depending on their condition), as well as two local used book stores -- then fill in with new if necessary or even possible. It's getting harder to fill in the gaps of some older and longer running series.

Heather said...

Colleen: I'm sure many will recognize the name of Beatrix (with an 'X', not 'CE') Potter. The series is loosely based on her and the world she created. Those opposed to talking animals in adult stories may not like this whimsical series as much as I have.

Alice Audrey said...

Actually, I'm not fond of mysteries and I've got no problems with blood, guts, and violence. I'll stick with my suspense.

Heather said...

Alice: You know I have no problem with suspense (see last week's post), but sometimes I like a mystery without all the gore and that is a bit more fun.

Paige Tyler said...

I've never read any of those authors!

*hugs*
Paige

My TT is at http://paigetylertheauthor.blogspot.com

Jennifer Leeland said...

OMG! I have gotten so out of touch with the cozy mysteries out there. I used to at least be familiar with them. Clicking links to catch up.
My wallet just winced. LOL!

CountryDew said...

I don't think I've read any of these. The China Bayles have been recommended to me.

Heather said...

Paige: I can honestly say that you don't strike me as the cozy mystery type -- though oyu might like the two "witch" series by Annette Blair.

Heather said...

Jennifer L: *Mwahahahaha* Guess my work here is done. Seriously, I think you might like some of these.

Heather said...

Anita: I really need to work the China Bayles into the lineup, so I can see what I think of them. People in the Cozy Mysteries group rave about them.

Icy BC said...

I am reading, but only bible verses as it is my Lent meditation!

Heather said...

Icy: Not what I'd choose to read, but enjoy. ;)

Alice Audrey said...

You do make those cozies sound entertaining.

Heather said...

Alice: Thank you. :-D