Friday, December 15, 2006

No-Layer Cards

As any paper crafter can attest to, there is nothing worse than running out of mono-adhesive before your new shipment arrives (and it is much cheaper ordering it online in bulk). I ordered it yesterday, and though the company promises "next day delivery," it apparently does not apply to all items since I received part of my order this afternoon, but NOT the part I needed most. Murphey's Law at its best: whatever item you need the most, that is the item that will be backordered, or will not arrive with the rest of your order. Always. In this instance, the bulk of my order is apparently being drop shipped through the manufacturer. Grrr....

I finished another big cross-stitch project this evening (though not as big as the previous one), after which I was in the mood for stamping but, of course, I was out of the mono that was supposed to be here today. Which meant doing some no-layer cards if I really wanted to stamp. As any stamper can tell you, though not impossible to do, it is definitely more of a challenge. One must put greater thought into the colors and stamps chosen, as well as the composition.

I started by digging out my retired The Shape of Things set (Stampin' Up!) to create a "layered" look. I inked it up with Pretty in Pink, and stamped it in the middle of a horizontal Very Vanilla card. I then used the tree from Loads of Love (SU) with Glorious Green and stamped it three times close together inside the pink layer, then stamped off to add lighter trees in the background. A greeting from My Sentiments Exactly was stamped below that. I next used the retired Perfect Plaid set (SU) in GG, to frame the image. Holly stickers in the corners added a nice dimension to the finished product. Not one of the best I did this evening, but it somehow works.




Setting that one aside, I pulled out the Barely Banana ink, and stamped a rectangle slightly above center on a verticle Very Vanilla card. The tree from Holiday Tag Team (SU) was stamped in Glorious Green. Inking only the "merry" part of the "Very Merry" stamp from the same set using Real Red and a blender pen, I positioned that just below the tree. Two stamps from Itty Bitty Backgrounds (SU) were used to create the GG background around the BB "layer." Red ribbon was added to spruce it up a bit. I liked this one much better than the first, but not near as well as the two that came after.

But that's a post for another day. *WEG*