Thursday, March 22, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #2: Old Movies


I love old movies...the classic black and white fair usually shown on AMC and TCM. What better way is there to spend a rainy weekend than cuddled up with a cat, an afghan and a timeless classic? Here are thirteen old movies I could watch over and over again, and if you know old movies well, it probably won't be too difficult for you to guess some of my favorite "timeless" actors.

1. Arsenic and Old Lace
2. Sabrina
3. Breakfast at Tiffany's
4. Bringing Up Baby
5. Gaslight
6. Meet Me in St. Louis
7. Charade
8. Funny Face
9. Roman Holiday
10. The African Queen
11. North by Northwest
12. The Maltese Falcon
13. Vertigo

Your turn--what's your favorite classic movie?


****************************************************
Links to other Thursday Thirteens!

6. Shelli 7. Dayna 8. Shonna 9. Karen S. 10. JAC
11. Loribelle 12. Amelia 13. Shari 14. Jenn 15. Gina
16. Jaci 17. Michelle 18. Jennifer 19. Kissa 20. Kate W

(leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here. I have GOT to get the neat little code ya'll have so people can add themselves!)


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!

20 comments:

Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Well, it's not black and white, but my favorite classics are Gone With the Wind and An Affair to Remember. Happy TT!

R.G. ALEXANDER said...

Okay I love 1-4 and 6-10 on that list! OOh and an Affair to Remember. However my FAVORITE that I've seen a million times is the Philadelphia Story with Kate Hepburn, Cary Grant, and Jimmy Stewart. Oh the banter! :)

Rhonda Helms said...

OOOOH Sabrina is one of my favs!! GREAT list!!

Unknown said...

Mine isn't black and white either but I loved An Officer and a Gentleman.

Anonymous said...

Casablanca. I can watch it over, and over, and then watch it again. And I cry every time.

Em said...

An Affair to Remember isn't on your list?!?!?!

I was the only one in my grade school with a crush on Cary Grant. Of course I was probably the only one that knew who Cary Grant was.

I also LOVE Singin' in the Rain (and yes, I also had a crush on Gene Kelly).

Amelia Elias said...

Nice list! Does the original The Posiedon Adventure count as a classic? The new one sucked, but I adore the original!

Heather said...

No, "An Affair to Remember" is NOT on my list. I much prefer the updated version, "Sleepless in Seattle." (Now there's a list for another time!)

I've never seen all of "Philadelphia Story," either - always catch it in the middle and then get interrupted. One of these days...

Heather said...

Amelia~ Why not! I almost put "The Untouchables" on my list, but there just weren't enough spots. I'd also have to add "The Shawshank Redemption" - love the ending of that one! Another day, another list lol...

Shari said...

Great list!

Tempest Knight said...

Give me Boggie anytime! And okay, I admit I like Bela Lugosi's movies. Heh!

Gina Ardito aka Katherine Brandon said...

My favorite classic: Duck Soup starring the Marx Bros. It's got everything: love, war, and Groucho. Who could ask for anything more?

Elle Fredrix said...

Sabrina is my fave. I love that movie!

Anonymous said...

LOL, number 1 came to mine when I was creating my list this morning. :)
North by Northwest and Vertigo are two fabulous movies.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Charade! One of my favorite old movies. Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn were fabulous. To Have and Have Not with Bogey and Bacall is also one of my favs.

Jennifer McKenzie said...

All the ones on your list and....
"The Big Sleep" (Bogart/Bacall)
"The Thin Man" (Powell/Loy)
"Stage Door" (Katherine Hepburn)
"Fifth Avenue Girl" (Ginger Rogers)
"Key Largo" (Bogart/Bacall)

I can go on FOREVER!!!

Kate Willoughby said...

It wasn't B&W, but I adore Guys and Dolls. It's still hard to believe that's Marlon Brando.

Happy TT!

http://katewilloughby.blogspot.com/

P. Robinson said...

I love old movies also. Jerry Lewis is in a lot of the old comedies I like.

http://kissesfromkissa.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

For some reason all of my classics seem to be Christmas movies! I like White Christmas, although I do like other stuff with Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye but for the life of me can't think of them right now. I also, of course, like It's a Wonderful Life. Other than that I guess I haven't been exposed to a lot of the classics! Yes, you can all gasp in shock now... :-D

Karen Erickson said...

Yeah I love GWTW even though it's not black and white, but what a great movie...

Love your list! I also like anything w/ Jimmy Stewart in it. ;)