Sunday, June 10, 2007

In Loving Memory

Squeaky
April 1987~June 9, 2007

We had to say goodbye to Squeaky last night. She just turned 20 in April and had been quite well for her age, up until the last couple of weeks. She suddenly wasn't eating, wasn't "talking" to us as she usually did (and believe me, this cat was quite the conversationalist), was slightly off-balance and although she did not seem in great pain, obviously didn't feel well. We suspected it might be an ear infection when we took her in, and although we hoped it was nothing serious, we were also prepared for the worse, given her advanced age.

There was indeed infection, but it was surrounding a large tumor. They could treat the infection and hope that would shrink the tumor, but there was no guarantee it would work or prolong her life. Plus, she would need a lot of special care and medicines the rest of her life, and possibly suffer more tumors in addition to the one she already had. In short, she wouldn't have been very happy or comfortable, and it would mean more suffering for her in the future -- and us. I know we made the more humane decision in letting her go, but I still miss her so much right now.

Squeaky had been a member of the family almost since she was born. Though she lost interest in toys years ago, she was still running regular laps around the house, right up until a few weeks ago. She was sometimes too cuddly (especially in summer), and was quite the conversationalist, but we wouldn't have had her any other way. She slept curled up next to me the past few nights, and spent most of yesterday afternoon cuddled in my lap. I know she knew how much she was loved, but it's still difficult to let go. The house seems far too quiet today.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Heather, I'm so sorry to hear this. Your message brought tears to my eyes. You're right - you did the right thing, but I know it's hard. Hang in there and know I'm thinking about you.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about Squeaky. I know how it feels ... I had to put Bandi down a few years ago, shortly after Mom passed away. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I was so despondent up about it, I couldn't even stay with her ... I just left her and "ran" while sobbing away. My vet called me the next day to see how I was doing.

Anyway, hugs to you guys. =^^=

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear your sad news. It's so hard to make that decision, I'm sure you did the right thing. You made that decision with a lot of love. Squeeky was a good companion and friend, You'll miss that. Remember the good, healthy, fun times and it will get easier in time.

Take care,
Patty

Anonymous said...

You have our deepest sympathy, I know what it is to have to let go of a dear pet for it's own sake. About 22 years ago we had to have our dog "Charlie" put to sleep. He too had developed massive tumors, we allowed the vet to operate twice but the tird time the vet said it would not be good for Charlie. Bob went to work and I had to take Charlie to the vet. He too spent the previous nights sleeping in our room curled up on his rug. You are right it is hard to let go but we do it for the good of the animal. Again you have our condolences and I hope time will help.

Regards to Mom,
Carole & Bob

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry Heather! I know how much she meant to you and your mom.
She was always fun to see when I would stop by. Hugs!!!

Jana said...

(((Hugs))) I'm so terribly sorry for your loss, hun.

Heather said...

Thanks so much for the hugs and warm thoughts. I'm missing her terribly tonight, more than I did all weekend.

Morag McKendrick Pippin said...

My deepest sympathies, Heather. It's so hard to say good bye to a dear pet. Of course she knew she was loved - you were her whole world.
Even though you are missing her terribly, she is now pain free. All of her friskiness from her younger years are back - she's chasing butterflies at the Rainbow Bridge while she's waiting for you.

Heather said...

Thanks, Morag! I truly appreciate your kind words adn thoughts. (((hugs)))

Cassandra said...

My great-grandmum once said, "Whatsoever we love in life, lives forever."

If this is true, and I believe it is so, then Squeaky lives forever.

Blessed Be,
C.C.

Maggie Nash said...

More Hugs Heather...

We never forget, but the pain does get better. Then you can look back and smile at all the good times you had together

You know where I am if you want to talk...if we can get the time zone thing going...

(((HUGS)))

Heather said...

Thanks C.C. and Maggie. She will certainly live on in memory a very long, long time.

And Maggie -- LOL at the synching of time zones. We seemt o do all right, most times. *g*