Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Smith Museum of Stained Glass Windows

A mentioning by Kate of Tiffany stained glass on her blog reminded me of the Smith Museum of Stained Glass Windows, which we visited during an extended weekend in Chicago around this time last summer. The museum is housed at Navy Pier and houses more than 150 works of art, many of which were originally from buildings in the Chicago area. I only took photos of about a dozen of my favorites, having been promised copies of pictures taken throughout the galleries by a friend. A good thing I did or would have nothing from this segment of our trip. Nope, more than a year later I have yet to see a single picture from her--whereas I gave friends CDs containing copies of my pictures only a month or so after the trip. Considering the fact I still haven't received pics promised by this friend in 1998, it honestly did not surprise me. Disgust and annoy, maybe; surprise, no.

Anyway, here are a few examples of the beautiful stained glass windows on display at the Smith Museum.



Lyric Poetry




Angel at the Gates of Heaven, c. 1900



Girl With Cherry Blossoms, c. 1890


2 comments:

Angela's Designs said...

They are all lovely. I like taking pics of stained glass I find too.

Heather said...

Thanks, Annalee. I have a few more I'll try to post over the weekend. ;)