Thursday, January 10, 2008

Thursday Thirteen # 42: GK Chesterton


There was an episode of "Criminal Minds" earlier this season that featured a quote about dragons by G.K. Chesterton. I liked the quote so much that I went in search of more by Chesterton. Here are a few that caught my attention.

1. Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed.

2. Impartiality is a pompous name for indifference, which is an elegant name for ignorance.

3. Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.

4. A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it.

5. He is a [sane] man who can have tragedy in his heart and comedy in his head.

6. To have a right to do a thing is not at all the same as to be right in doing it.

7. Do not enjoy yourself. Enjoy dances and theaters and joy-rides and champagne and oysters; enjoy jazz and cocktails and night-clubs if you can enjoy nothing better; enjoy bigamy and burglary and any crime in the calendar, in preference to the other alternative; but never learn to enjoy yourself.

8. Men invent new ideals because they dare not attempt old ideals. They look forward with enthusiasm, because they are afraid to look back.

9. There is no such thing on earth as an uninteresting subject; the only thing that can exist is an uninterested person. (Heretics, 1905)

10. I have formed a very clear conception of patriotism. I have generally found it thrust into the foreground by some fellow who has something to hide in the background. I have seen a great deal of patriotism; and I have generally found it the last refuge of the scoundrel.

11. It is terrible to contemplete how few politicians are hanged.

12. Love means loving the unlovable - or it is no virtue at all.

13. Women are the only realists; their whole object in life is to pit their realism against the extravagant, excessive, and occasionally drunken idealism of men.


Links to other Thursday Thirteens!

Jenna Bayley-Burke * Adelle Laudan * Shelly Munro
Gina Ardito * Jennifer Shirk * Jennifer McKenzie
Debbie Mumford * Darla * Alice Audrey * Lis
Savvy One * Paige Tyler * Savannah Chase
AJ Chase * Jennifer Bianco * Lia Morgan * Dayle

(leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



16 comments:

Shelley Munro said...

I like these. My favorite is #2

Gina Ardito aka Katherine Brandon said...

Ooh, I love #7. What an inspiring list!

Jennifer Shirk said...

Ha! LOVED #1 and #6.
Cool list! :)

Unknown said...

Definately a thought provoking list. Thanks for sharing.
Happy T13!

Jennifer McKenzie said...

To have a right to do a thing is not at all the same as to be right in doing it.

I love G.K. Chesterton.

GREAT quotes!!!!! Some of them very appropriate for an election year.

Debbie Mumford said...

I remember hearing that quote and thinking, "Yeah. That is SO right."

Thanks for doing the research!

http://debbie-mumford.blogspot.com/

Darla said...

These are great quotes! Thanks for posting them. #11 is going to keep me amused a lot this year. :)

Anonymous said...

Well 13 is definitely a favorite, LOL, but I also like number 1. :)

Anonymous said...

I'll got with 13

Anonymous said...

Wow, those were really great. I'll have to check Chesterton out. Great 13!

Amber Gilchrist said...

I love GK Chesterton. My favorite is, "Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese." :)

Savannah Chase said...

i miss Criminal Minds, I havent watched it since April 07....

Great list

Dayle A. Dermatis said...

These are fantastic!

I'm over here: http://cyvarwydd.blogspot.com/2008/01/thursday-13-thirteen-writing-related.html

Lis said...

Oh these are great! Lots of good ones.

Heather said...

Thanks everyone! I love hearing which ones people liked best!

Debbie Mumford said...

Heather! You've been tagged!

Check here for details:
http://debbie-mumford.blogspot.com/