Monday, March 23, 2009

The Internal CD Player

It probably comes as little surprise to those who know me that I almost constantly have some song or other running through my head. Yes, nearly every waking hour (sometimes even in my sleep), and sometimes even two songs at once -- let me tell you, that can really be annoying. Here are the songs that have been playing in my head so far today:


1. Rainy Days and Mondays by The Carpenters. I awoke with this in my head this morning. Not much of a surprise since a) it is Monday and b) it is a rainy, gray day best spent sleeping in, watching old movies or curling up with a good book. Naturally, the stupid day job refused to allow me the joy of any of those.


2. Love is a Many-Splendored Thing by The Four Aces. This one also makes sense as I watched the movie last night and the melody plays throughout. I fell asleep with it in my head. And can I just go on record as saying, "What a sucky ending!" Anyone else seen it? It's a romance set in Hong Kong where a widowed Eurasian doctor (half Chinese, half European--played by Jennifer Jones) falls in love with an American news correspondent (William Holden). Beautiful love story right up until the last ten minutes. I felt like throwing the remote through the TV.


3. Christmas Dreaming by Harry Connick, Jr. HUH?? Where the heck did that come from in March? Definitely not dreaming of Christmas this early in the year. Harry, on the other hand...


4. What's the Name of the Game by Abba. Again?! Sheesh...it's been more than a month since the last time I watched the movie, and a couple of weeks since I listened to the CD at work, and I still can't get these songs out of my head.


5. Volcano by Jimmy Buffett -- upon reading about the overnight eruptions of Alaska's Mount Redoubt. "I don't know, I don't know, I don't know where I'ma gonna go when the volcano blows..."


6. An Irish Ballad -- trad. (I think). Learned this one waaaaay back in middle school -- I'm sure Angela remembers it, as we used to sing it together, despite neither of us actually being Irish. It's been flitting through my head off and on for the past week. Gee...I wonder why that might be? lol (Chorus: Fare thee well my darlin' to America / I will wait in Ireland for ye / When the warm Kansas sun makes the grain grow tall / My darlin' I'll come back for ye)


So...what song has been playing in your head today?



3 comments:

Kate Willoughby said...

The puzzlement song from the King and I. We watched that movie last night and when I woke up, that song was playing in my head. Arrrggh!

Heather said...

LOL -- Suddenly very glad I don't recognize that one, though I have seen the movie a few times.

And ARGH! Now you've put "Getting to Know You" in my head. Curse you, Kate! lol

Anonymous said...

I also had Rainy Days and Mondays stuck in my head this week, only it was on Tuesday...but now I have that Irish Ballad in there! Wow, I haven't sung that in a long time.