Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Thursday Thirteen 109: Spelling Bee


The 2009 Scripps National Spelling Bee got under way Wednesday in Washington DC. Here are a few fun words to test or add to your vocabulary.


1. bombinate \BOM-buh-nayt\ intransitive verb: To buzz; to hum; to drone.

2. senescent \si-NES-uhnt\ adjective: Growing old; aging.

3. pseudandry \su-DAN-dree\ noun: The use of a male name as a pseudonym by a woman. (The opposite is pseudogyny where a man takes a woman's name as a pseudonym.)

4. lugubrious \lu-GOO-bree-us; -GYOO-\ adjective: Mournful, dismal, or gloomy, esp. in an affected, exaggerated, or unrelieved manner.

5. oneiric \oh-NYE-rik\ adjective: of or relating to dreams: dreamy

6. epistemic \ep-uh-STEE-mik\ adjective: of or relating to knowledge or knowing: cognitive

7. nescience \NESH-uhn(t)s; NESH-ee-uhn(t)s\ noun: Lack of knowledge or awareness; ignorance.

8. exorable \EK-suhr-uh-buhl\ adjective: Capable of being persuaded or moved.

9. gainly \GAYN-lee\ adjective: Graceful; dexterous.

10. chirography \kye-RAH-gruh-fee\ noun: handwriting, penmanship; Calligraphy

11. munificent \myoo-NIF-i-suhnt\ adjective: Very liberal in giving or bestowing; very generous; lavish.

12. outré \oo-TRAY\ adjective: Unconventional; eccentric; bizarre.

13. lickerish \LIK-uh-rish\ adjective: greedy, desirous; lecherous



You can watch the semifinals Thursday morning on ESPN (10 ET/9 CT) and the finals Thursday evening on ABC (8 ET/7 CT).


LINKS TO OTHER THURSDAY THIRTEENS:
(Please leave your link if this is your first visit!)

Janice Seagraves * Ella Drake * Elise Logan * Mary Quast
Adelle Laudan * Alice Audrey * Stephanie Adkins * Lanie Fuller
Hazel * Shelley Munro * Ms Menozzi * Carleen
Jennifer McKenzie * RJ LeBeau * Jamie Babette * Paige Tyler
Debra Kayn * Storyteller


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others’ comments. It’s easy, and fun! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things.



23 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome. I just love new-to-me words! Happy T13!

Heather said...

Adelle - Me too! Happy T13!

Ella Drake said...

Most of these were new. A few were "Oh, yeah" words. Great list.

(felt like I was studying for the SAT)

:)

Heather said...

Ella - LOL at studying for the SAT. Thank heavens that's far behind us, huh?

Janice Seagraves said...

I think I might have recognized maybe two words.

Happy TT.

Janice~

Alice Audrey said...

I've actually use Lugubrious in conversation. Not that I could spell it, mind you.

Lanie Fuller said...

Yeah. I think I knew two of those, too, and could maybe pronounce three on my own, LOL.

Nice list!

Hazel said...

Great list. I love finding what to me are new words. Thanks for putting the pronunciation guide too.

pseudandry - Acton Bell shot thru my mind :) I visited her grave in Scarborough. Happy TT

(my link: http://delineatingdes.blogspot.com/2009/05/header-by-samulli-while-looking-for.html)

Shelley Munro said...

I'm glad I don't have to spell these words. Thank goodness for spellcheck and dictionaries, I say.

Ms Menozzi said...

Ah, taking me back to my spelling bee glory days... LOL! Great list of words to trot out when my students start getting cocky. ;)

Happy TT!
Ciao!

Carleen said...

Impressive list! I was only familiar with 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, 11, and 13. Ack -- where's my dictionary?!

Stephanie Adkins said...

Okay, I've never heard of any of these. LOL!! Great list. Happy Thursday! *Hugs*

Jennifer McKenzie said...

Oooo fantastic! Mostly words I didn't know. I knew lugubrious, exorable and gainly. Otherwise, clueless. Great list!

Heather said...

Janice - Hey, two is something, right? *g*

Alice - I believe I have used that one in writing or conversation before as well. :)

Lanie - Wow, I didn't think the pronunciations were that hard. Three is good, though!

Hazel - You're welcome (for pronunciations)! George Eliot was actually the first name that came to my mind for pseudandry, but the "Bells" are certainly right up there.

Heather said...

Shelley - LOL... Dictionaries and spell check can certainly be godsends!

Ms Menozzi - You were a bee participant? How cool!

Carleen - I'm impresssed! :)

Stephanie - Not even one? Say it isn't so!

Jennifer - Thank you... Always happy to tax your brain. *VBG*

storyteller said...

Fun T-13 ... and educational too!
Hugs and blessings,

Heather said...

Thanks, Storyteller!

Paige Tyler said...

So cool! Now if I could remember to use those words in my books! LOL!

*hugs*
Paige

My TT is at http://paigetylertheauthor.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Fun list. I love words. Pseudandry was the only new one to me.
Happy T13

Elise Logan said...

I knew all but three of those - and use many of them semi-regularly. But, you did manage to give me a few I didn't know, so THANK YOU!

Anonymous said...

Great list. I should take the time and learn words like these. I knew one. :-)

Heather said...

Paige - Remembering to use them is the trick, isn't it? Happy T13! *g*

Jamie - You obviously rock!

Elise - You are most welcome!

RJ - Thanks, and um...you don't expect me to argue with you, do you? At least try to learn half! ;)

Virginia Killmore said...

Ooh I watched some of the spelling bee it looked so hard!