Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Thursday Thirteen 110: Gifts For the College Bound Graduate


One of my nieces is graduating high school this weekend and will be off to college in the fall. With her in mind, here are thirteen gift ideas for the college bound student.


1. Money. Who couldn’t use that? It comes in handy for things like tuition and expensive text books.
2. Gift Cards. Office supply stores, restaurants, college bookstore, etc.
3. Laptop and printer—an essential these days.
4. Cell phone. Unless you enjoy accepting collect calls or never hearing from your kid, this is almost a must these days. Calling cards don’t seem to get it anymore.
5. Digital camera—the better to document all those frat parties, football games and room crawls on their blog.
6. Travel—Gift cards for bus/train/plane so your child can get around town or come home once in a while (hopefully without all their dirty laundry).
7. Laundry essentials—wrap up detergent, fabric softener and a couple rolls of quarters in a handy laundry basket or hamper. Be sure to include laundry lessons before they depart. (Seriously—I had one roommate who had never done her own laundry until she was away at college.)
8. Kitchen essentials: Dish soap, plates, (plastic) glasses, utensils, napkins, and nonperishable food items such as Raman noodles, Chef Boyardee, Pop tarts, tea/cocoa, crackers, etc. They come in handy while studying late at night. Some may consider this archaic, but a hotpot also comes in handy as many dorms do not allow microwaves in individual rooms. You’d be amazed what you can make with an inexpensive hotpot—hot cocoa, tea, pasta, soup…all the staples of dorm life!
9. Bathroom tote. Girls will especially appreciate a handy tote they can carry to the bathroom loaded with their favorite soap, shampoo and conditioner, toothbrush and toothpaste, wash clothes and other fun essentials for pampering.
10. Mini refrigerator. So they have some place to keep the beer. Kidding! It comes in handy for storing soda, milk, and a pitcher for water. Not to mention a little freezer for ice pops (which is about all you can fit in one of those).
11. Luggage/book bag. Especially necessary if your child is going to school out of town/state and will be making trips home via train/plane/bus. Something with multiple pockets Is best.
12. College apparel. Surprise them with a tee or sweatshirt from their university.
13. Desk essentials. Paper, ink, pens, computer disks…all the items the studious collegiate needs for completing assignments.


LINKS TO OTHER THURSDAY THIRTEENS:
(Please leave your link if this is your first visit!)

Ms Menozzi * Janice Seagraves * Stephanie Adkins * Adelle Laudan
Alice Audrey * Chris * Cassandra * Shelley Munro
Hootin' Anni * Ella Drake * Lori Johnson * Carmen Shirkey
I Am Harriet * Janet * Chelle * Carleen * Sue * Jamie Babette
Mary Quast * Jennifer McKenzie * Elise Logan * AD

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others’ comments. It’s easy, and fun! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things.



26 comments:

Unknown said...

These are all great ideas. I have a few years to go be4 my girls go to college. Great list.

Happy T13~

Heather said...

Thanks Alice! I bet you're grateful to have a few years before thinking about college. Enjoy them while you can!

Chris said...

yeah.. great ideas!

Alice Audrey said...

Boy, what I would have done for the things on your list back when I was off to college.

Cassandra said...

Love the mini-fridge idea. Wish I'd had one back when I was in college.

Great list.

No T13 this time for me or the MMC, but we do have a cool Midnight Brew for those interested. http://midnightmooncafe.blogspot.com

Ms Menozzi said...

I'm not going to college, but I wouldn't mind a new laptop or even a great big package of pens and paper. ;)

Happy TT!
Ciao!

Shelley Munro said...

College sounds expensive. :)

Hootin Anni said...

All, excellent ideas. Especially #1...can't go wrong with that one. She/OR he for that matter....could get the other #12 with the first one.

My Thirteen is posted...a message to all cats/dogs AND their owners. All in fun! Happy day wishes to you....

Ella Drake said...

These are great ideas. Could've used a few of those when I went!

Lori said...

Nice list. The first one will never go out of style.

Carleen said...

Considering that I am now retired from teaching at a university, I can vouch for the items on your list; I heard students talk about most of them on a regular basis. However, not having #1 was their loudest and most frequent complaint, LOL!

Carmen said...

I think I would've liked a laundry-DOER when I went to college. :) Or a never ending supply of underwear so I didn't have to do laundry at all.

You know, I just started a new biz, making photo books, and a graduate photo book would also be a good gift! (A photo book is like a scrapbook but WAY better!) That blog can be found here: http://photostorybooks.blogspot.com/

I am Harriet said...

You sure nailed the list!
Happy TT and good luck.

http://iamharriet.blogspot.com/2009/06/lovin-thursday.html

Stephanie Adkins said...

Great gift ideas. We had several graduates in our family this year. Happy Thursday.

Janet said...

you had some great ideas here!

Chelle said...

This is a great list. One of the best things I got for graduation was an alarm clock; I actually made it to some of those early morning classes.

Heather said...

Chris - Thank you!

Alice - Thanks - I actually did get a few of these before leaving for freshman year, but certainly could have used a lot more from the list!

Cassandra - The mini fridge certainly came in handy. I only wish I'd gotten mine sooner!

Ms Menozzi - ROFL! Yeah, I wouldn't mind a few items off this list right now myself. Like the camera, money, GCs...

Shelley - It is definitely expensive, and that's not just the books and tuition! There are so many "little things" people don't think about.

Heather said...

Anni - Thank you. And yes, number one would certainly go a long way in acquiring other items on the list.

Ella - Thanks, and I too could have used more from the list. This is all taken from personal experience.

Lori - Money definitely doesn't go out of style. Ever! lol

Carleen - Thank you! I can vouch for the items on this list as well, from personal experience. And yes, money is always appreciated.

Susan Cook said...

Great ideas. Def. need the mini-fridge! I couldn't have lived without it!

Happy TT!

Heather said...

Carmen - A laundry "doer" would certainly have been nice at times. Especially when living on the 4th floor and the elevator was broken, which it frequently was that year. And yes, a memory photo book would also be a great gift. I took more photos senior yr in HS than the previous three years combined.

Harriet - Thank you! It's all from personal experience.

Stephanie - Those are tough years, when you have multiple graduates in a family. So glad there's only one in ours this year!

Janet - Thank you!

Chelle - An alarm clock is another excellent idea. Although...I was actually lucky my freshman year in not having any classes before 11am. With my majors, I only had one semester with class before 9am. *G*

Mary Quast said...

Great ideas! I think I'll print-n-save this list!

One cool gift is a bucket with a bottle of car wash, a shamois, gift certificate to a car wash, and a gas card.

Hugs!

Heather said...

Sue - I would have had difficulty doing without the mini fridge once I had it, too.

Mary - Thank you! Car accessories would certainly come in handy for those with a car. There are some schools, however, that require freshman to live on campus but do not allow them to keep cars - or parking may be at a premium - so that is something to keep in mind. For some schools, a bicycle and related accessories may be more appropriate.

Americanising Desi said...

wonderful!
i m gonna borrow it :D

one day :D
hope you dont mind

Hapy TT

http://2short2sweet.blogspot.com/2009/06/yes-to-power-13.html

Janice Seagraves said...

Great list! And if your getting your college bound teen a cell phone why not one that takes pictures? That way they always have it with them and you don't have the expense of getting a camera too. Some new cell phone even play music so you don't have to buy them an mp3 player either.

Happy TT.
Janice~

Jennifer McKenzie said...

The best gift I got was from my sister. It was a little pot that cooked the cans of spaghetti o's that I used to eat once a day.'
Hey, I was poor. LOL.
It also boiled water and cooked soup. I loved that thing.
Great ideas, Heather.

Heather said...

AD - Define "borrow." Seriously, as long as you give credit where it is due, blog away!

Janice - Another good idea, as long as the phone takes quality pictures, which many do not.

Jennifer - Yup, that would be a hotpot. I got a lot of use out of mine, too! I always had packets of hot chocolate and soup packets on hand in winter, and canned pasta or beef stew for those days I couldn't make it to a meal (problem with a small campus is the main dining hall had limited hours, and sometimes the PIT simply did not appeal, or I wanted to save money).