Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Teaser Tuesday 3: 1984



Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

* Grab your current read
* Open to a random page
* Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
* BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
* Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!


I kept it shorter this week! ;-)


When there were no external records that you could refer to, even the outline of your own life lost its sharpness. You remembered huge events which had quite probably not happened, you remembered the details of incidents without being able to recapture their atmosphere, and there were long blank periods to which you could assign nothing.


I didn't have to read this one in high school as my younger sister did. Instead, our class read Animal Farm. I'm glad I picked this one up this year!



13 comments:

Missy B. said...

I had to read this when I was in high school....it really creeped me out.
Good teaser choice!

Anonymous said...

Interesting teaser..
Here is mine:
http://sumanam.wordpress.com/2009/10/07/teaser-tuesdays-6/

Unknown said...

I read so long ago and i didn't like it but the teaser is good so maybe I should try it again?
PS Kellerman is great if you like detective books

Here's my Teaser Tuesday

Heather said...

Missy - At our HS, you read either this or Animal Farm in Freshman English. My sister read 1984, our class the other. Have been meaning to read it for years and have finally got round to it. It is kind of creepy, especially considering how some governments do seem intent on revisionist history.

Sumanam - Thanks, yours was good too!

Snowbell - So far 1984 isn't bad, but I'm only half way through. Haven't had much chance to read since Friday; I've been too darn busy!

JoAnn said...

Don't know how I ever got out of high school without reading Orwell. I'll have to take care of that one of these days.

Julie said...

I think I would hate having long blank periods like that. Such a classic teaser! I love classic reads.
P.S. Thanks for stopping by my blog today to view my teaser. :)

Heather said...

JoAnn - Wow, you didn't have to read Animal Farm or 1984? I thought everyone had to read at least one of them!

Julie - I know I would dislike it. It's one of the reasons I've kept a journal most my life. Thanks for visiting!

Alice Audrey said...

It's been literally decades since I read that.

Anonymous said...

I have this coming up next and am very much looking forward to it! And even more now after your teaser :)

Here's my Teaser Tuesday.

Anonymous said...

Oh, wow, 1984. I ought to reread that.

Jennifer said...

It has been decades since I first read 1984, great teaser. Mine is here: http://rundpinne.blogspot.com/2009/10/casting-off-teaser-tuesdays.html

Heather said...

Alice - How long do you think it's been since I read Animal Farm? LOL

Alita - Wow, glad I've piqued your interest in this one. I hope you like it!

LitOm - It can be interesting to see how your memory and perspective differ when rereading something years later. I know I hated Huck Finn the first time through, but appreciated it much more four years later.

Jennifer - Thank you, will be sure to drop by your teaser soon!

christine said...

I have told myself for years to read this book. I must keep it out in the open to remind myself.