Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Teaser Tuesday 9: The Old Man and the Sea


Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

* Grab your current read
* Open to a random page
* Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
* BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
* Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!


More than two sentences, but bear with me. :wink:


The line rose slowly and steadily and then the surface of the ocean bulged ahead of the boat and the fish came out. He came out unendingly and water poured from his sides. He was bright in the sun and his head and back were dark purple and in the sun the stripes on his sides showed wide and a light lavender. His sword was as long as a baseball bat and tapered like a rapier and he rose his full length from the water and then re-entered it, smoothly, like a diver and the old man saw the great scythe-blade of his tail go under and the line commenced to race out.







8 comments:

Harvee said...

Nice tease. An old favorite. Here's My tease.

Anonymous said...

Oh my favorite author.. Great Tease..
Here is mine:
http://sumanam.wordpress.com/

Heather said...

BBD - Thank you, I thought it a beautiful passage.

Sumanam - I wouldn't classify Hemingway as one of my favorites, but I did like this one. Thanks for visiting!

Tiina said...

That is simply beautiful!

My teaser is here: http://abookblogofonesown.blogspot.com/2009/11/chapter-25-teaser-tuesday-17112009.html

Greetings,
Tiina

christine (booktumbling) said...

I love this book. Short but powerful. Wonderful choice for a teaser!

Heather said...

Thanks, Tiina and Christine!

Alice Audrey said...

I've read a few Hemingways, but never got around to The Old Man and the Sea. I probably should. Once I got my Baccalaureate, I never looked back.

Heather said...

Alice - I've read a couple other short stories by Hemingway, but never any of his novels (yeah, bad English major, I know). The Old Man and the Sea is a short, finish-in-one-afternoon kind of read.