Sunday, December 06, 2009

Monday Movie Meme: Black & White


Today we're kickin' it old school. Classic. Vintage. Black & White films. Digital special effects and vibrant rainbows of colors are terrific, but the simplicity and clarity of B&W movies creates an entirely different effect. Share on your blog those color-free flicks that stop you in your tracks and link back here at The Bumbles. And don't forget to visit your fellow participants!


I love old films. In fact, TCM is one of the few reasons I have expanded basic cable. In fact, I just saw a new-to-me B&W film Sunday afternoon, Remember the Night. While I won't rate that as one of my all-time favorites, it was pretty good. Here are several that do get top billing--films I will watch again and again, no matter how many times I have seen them before:


Arsenic and Old Lace (1944) ~ A drama critic learns on his wedding day that his beloved maiden aunts are homicidal maniacs, and that insanity runs in his family. (I see this is airing Tuesday, but why does it have to be at one in the freakin' morning? Nuts!)

Harvey (1950) ~ Elwood P. Dowd is a mild-mannered, pleasant man, who just happens (he says) to have an invisible friend resembling a 6-foot rabbit.

Sabrina (1954) ~ A playboy becomes interested in the daughter of his family's chauffeur. But it's his more serious brother who would be the better man for her.

Born Yesterday (1950) ~ A million dollar Tycoon hires a tutor to teach his lover proper etiquette. Recommended for anyone tired of "dumb blonde" jokes. Judy Halliday is perfect in this role, and shows that everyone, no matter what their background or station in life has the means to educate themselves.

Blackboard Jungle (1955) ~ A new English teacher at a violent, unruly inner-city school is determined to do his job, despite resistance from both students and faculty.

Bringing Up Baby (1938) ~ David Huxley is waiting to get a bone he needs for his museum collection. Through a series of strange circumstances, he meets Susan Vance, and the duo have a series of misadventures which include a leopard called Baby.

The Maltese Falcon (1941) ~ A private detective takes on a case that involves him with three eccentric criminals, a gorgeous liar, and their quest for a priceless statuette. This one is every bit as good as the novel by Dashiel Hammett.

Roman Holiday (1953) ~ A bored and sheltered princess escapes her guardians and falls in love with an American newsman in Rome.

12 Angry Men (1957) ~ A dissenting juror in a murder trial slowly manages to convince the others that the case is not as obviously clear as it seemed in court.


And, because it is December, I have to mention two of my favorite Christmas movies:

Holiday Inn (1942) ~ At an inn which is only open on holidays, a crooner and a hoofer vie for the affections of a beautiful up-and-coming performer. (Will be on AMC Dec 13 and 14.)

Miracle on 34th Street (1947) ~ When a nice old man who claims to be Santa Claus is institutionalized as insane, a young lawyer decides to defend him by arguing in court that he is the real thing. I have not seen, nor do I intend to see, the remake.



9 comments:

Heather G. said...

You've got a great list on here. Some of them I haven't seen yet! here's my list: http://gofita.blogspot.com/2009/12/monday-movie-meme-black-and-white.html

The Gal Herself said...

I love Born Yesterday! Judy Holliday was just made for black and white, wasn't she? Makes her hair look even more like cotton candy.

Sandy Nawrot said...

And I call myself a movie buff! I've never seen any of these. I'm embarassed!

Heather said...

Heather ~ Thank you, I hope you get the chance to check out the ones you've missed!

Gal ~ Isn't that a great movie? Judy Holliday is the original platinum blonde, and she is so great in this role. Very overpowering!

Sandy ~ Gasp! You haven't seen even one movie listed here? That just isn't right! Get thee to a DVD player anon! *g*

kayerj said...

oh I forgot about miracle on 34th street. Lot's of unfamiliar movies for me to check out. Thanks for stopping by.

Unknown said...

What a great list! I haven't yet seen Born Yesterday, so I'll have to give it a go. Loved your holiday classics, too.

Heather said...

Kaye ~ I love the original Miracle on 34th Street, have no desire to see the remake. I think it's interesting, too, that it was released in May. Nowadays, studios would save this sort of movie for an Oct/Nov/Dec release.

Boliyou ~ I hope you enjoy Born Yesterday as much as Gal and I do!

The Bumbles said...

Many of the oldies run together for me with so many of the same players and themes involved over and over but I do love them. I have not seen Arsenic & Old Lace however - and have seen it mentioned now a few times. I'm sure TCM will run it again!

Heather said...

Molly ~ You've never seen Arsenic and Old Lace? Oh, you have to watch for that to air on TCM. They tend to show it every few months.