Monday, January 04, 2010

Monday Movie Meme: Game On


Share on your blog those movies that address the wide world of sports and link back to The Bumbles. Don't forget to visit your fellow participants! I tried to pick a few movies not on Molly and Andy's list.


* The Cutting Edge (1992) ~ Two words: "Toe pick!"

* Remember the Titans (2000) ~ Integration of a high school football team, based on a true story. Yes, I know I've mentioned it before, but it's an awesome movie! Though it received no Oscar nominations, it was nominated for and won many other awards.

* Necessary Roughness (1991) ~ An aging Scott Bakula is recruited to play QB for a floundering Texas football team.

* Cool Runnings (1993) ~ "Feel the rhythm! Feel the rhyme! Get on up, its bobsled time!"

* Million Dollar Baby (2004) ~ Thought-provoking and controversial ending, but I dare you not to cry. This movie more than deserved its four Oscars (and was nominated for three more).

* Hoosiers (1986) ~ Gene Hackman as a washed-up Indiana high school basketball coach. Loosely based on a 1950's team.

* Chariots of Fire (1981) ~ The true story of two athletes in the 1924 Olympics.



11 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I hadn't stuck to the Olympics Hoosiers would have been on my list. And I love Scott Bakula, aging and all :)

Heather said...

Stacy ~ Ditto Scott Bakula. We had Quantum Leap nights back in college. ;)

Alice Audrey said...

Cool Runnings has got to be one of the most under rated movies out there. Sure, it's fluff, but it's fantastic fluff that has stood the test of time.

Susan said...

Remember the Titans is a great movie. I'm not much of a football fan, but I love good stories and great actors.

I most definitely cried during Million Dollar Baby. A great film by Clint Eastwood.

Love Scott Bakula, too!

Unknown said...

I just took the Bear skating for New Year's Eve, and as she stumbled around the ice, all I could think of was "toe pick!" Great choices!

Heather said...

Alice ~ I concur. Cool Runnings is definitely under-rated.

Susan ~ You know I can't argue with any of that. GMTA!

Boliyou ~ ROFL... I hope you both had a great time. I used to love ice skating, but have not been in...I don't think I want to think how long it's been, lol.

Latesha said...

Loved The Cutting Edge, but wasn't crazy about the sequel. Cool Runnings was also good. Could we include The Last Boy Scout with Bruce Willis and Damon Wayans about a washed up football player caught up in crime?

Heather said...

Latesha ~ I agree, the sequel was not near as good as the original. I think there was a third movie, too. I haven't seen The Last Boy Scout, so -- wait. You've seen a movie I haven't?? How did this happen?!

(Anyone else know if it would qualify as a sports movie?)

The Bumbles said...

Toe pick was not something I mastered when I was trying to be Dorothy Hammil - I used to run into the boards in order to stop ;0) So ice skating movies always make me jealous - unless of course it is Blades of Glory - then I just laugh my ass off.

Heather said...

Molly ~ I mastered the toe pick okay, it was trying to imitate some of those jumps that was my downfall (literally). Have not yet see BOG. To be honest, I'm afraid to. lol

Heather G. said...

Those are all great ones! I love Scott Bakula too. Million Dollar Baby...I did NOT cry! But I thought it was very sad and a wonderful moving movie.

I'm also watching the first season of Quantum Leap...I just got it in the mail...love it!