Monday, February 15, 2010

Monday Movie Meme: Winter


This week's movie theme is all about winter. Share on your blog selections that feature snow, freezing cold and other winter related movies and link back to The Bumbles. And don't forget to visit your fellow participants!


* New in Town (2009): A Miami businesswoman adjusts to her new life in a tiny Minnesota town (during winter).

* While You Were Sleeping (1995): Ticket collecting romantic pretends to be engaged to an unconscious man but can't fool his brother. Takes place over Christmas and New Year's. Two of the best scenes have to do with ice.

* Cool Runnings (1993): Based on the true story of the First Jamacian bobsled team trying to make it to the winter olympics. Who could forget that first scene when they stepped outside the airport in Calgary?

* The Snow Queen (2005): Gerda sets out on a magical journey to find her best friend, Kay who has been taken by the Snow Queen. I confess, I have not actually scene the movie version, but this was one of my favorite fairy tales growing up.

* The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe (2005): Four kids travel through a wardrobe to the land of Narnia and learn of their destiny to free it with the guidance of a mystical lion.

* Eight Below (2006): Brutal cold forces two Antarctic explorers to leave their team of sled dogs behind as they fend for their survival.

* Grumpy Old Men (1993): A lifelong feud between two neighbors since childhood, only gets worse when a new female neighbor moves across the street.



11 comments:

The Bumbles said...

Awww - Grumpy Old Men! Such a treasure - haven't seen that one in years. Thanks for making me smile with your choices today ;0)

The Gal Herself said...

I didn't include Narnia because I never saw the movie, but if it's anything like the books, it's a great choice!

Grumpy Old Men was delightful. Like the Bumbles, I haven't seen it -- or even thought about it -- in a while. But Jack Lemmon has always been one of my favorites, so thanks for the reminder.

Heather said...

Molly ~ Glad to bring a smile your way!

Gal ~ Narnia has some great winter/ice scenes in it. Most welcome for the GOM reminder, too! *g*

Alice Audrey said...

I loved Grumpy Old Men. You already know how I feel about Cool Runnings, which has been on my mind a bit lately. :)

Heather said...

Alice ~ My inclusion of GOM seems to be an all-around hit. Was bummed to hear there is no Jamaican bobsled team in this year's Olympics.

Anonymous said...

Oops, haven't seen any one of them! But especially Eight Below sounds awesome!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed all those movies. They also made me smile. I love While You Were Sleeping! That one always gives me plenty of laughs.

hmsgofita

Sherrie said...

Hi,
Like your list of movies. Grumpy Old Men is a favorite of mine. Thanks for stopping by my place. Have a great evening.

Sherrie

Heather said...

Gnoegnoe ~ Not a one? I hope you will check out a couple of them. Eight Below is really good, and has been on TV a couple times this month.

Heather ~ Thank you, glad the memories of them made you smile today!

Sherrie ~ Thanks, Sherrie. GOM seems to be the popular favorite! *g*

kayerj said...

WE had three picks the same. I love While You Were Sleeping :) and Chronicles of Narnia. Thanks for stopping by

Anonymous said...

I love While You Were Sleeping and can't believe it didn't come to mind for this post! Great list.