Monday, February 28, 2011

Teaser Tuesday 74: Halfway to the Grave


Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

* Grab your current book or recent read.
* Share a few “teaser” sentences from somewhere in the book.
* BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (Make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away. You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
* Share the title and author so that other participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teaser!


From my weekend reading...


He was a vampire, a hit man, and had almost killed me...and nothing mattered more than the feel of him. I licked my lips and didn't pull away, and it was all the invitation he needed.
(Cat, on Bones, pg 116)


Charlie whistled "Amazing Grace" as he drove. It was all I could do not to whip my head around and snap, Are you kidding me? Couldn't he pick something more appropriate, like"Shout at the Devil" or "Don't Fear the Reaper"?
(Cat ,on being kidnapped, pg 178)




From GoodReads:
Halfway to the Grave (book 1)
by Jeaniene Frost

Flirting with the grave...
Half-vampire Catherine Crawfield is going after the undead with a vengeance, hoping that one of these deadbeats is her father—the one responsible for ruining her mother's life. Then she's captured by Bones, a vampire bounty hunter, and is forced into an unholy partnership.

In exchange for finding her father, Cat agrees to train with the sexy night stalker until her battle reflexes are as sharp as his fangs. She's amazed she doesn't end up as his dinner—are there actually good vampires? Pretty soon Bones will have her convinced that being half-dead doesn't have to be all bad. But before she can enjoy her new found status as kick-ass demon hunter, Cat and Bones are pursued by a group of killers. Now Cat will have to choose a side . . . and Bones is turning out to be as tempting as any man with a heartbeat.



18 comments:

Shelley Munro said...

This sounds like a good read. You wouldn't expect a kidnapper to whistle Amazing Grace!

Heather said...

Shelley: it was a good, fast read. I started it Saturday night, and snuck in the last couple of hours Monday morning at work while waiting for orders to print out. I'm now 50 pages into book two.

Jennifer said...

How intriguing. My TT: http://www.rundpinne.com/2011/02/teaser-tuesdays-the-fifth-servant.html

Majanka said...

This sounds like a nice read! Great choice of teaser btw, and I like the title and cover of the novel as well.

Here's my Teaser.

Marg said...

I bought this book when it first came out purely based on the cover! Still haven't read it.

Here's my teaser for this week.

Karen and Gerard said...

Interesting teasers!

Here's ours:
http://ourstack.blogspot.com/2011/03/tuesday-teaser-dilemma-and-girl-in.html

Sally said...

I love this series. My copy of This Side of the Grave finally showed up today! So excited.
Sally.
http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/03/teaser-tuesday-8.html

Kaye said...

This seems like a departure from your usual reads, isn't it? What made you pick it up in the first place?

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Oh, this one actually sounds enticing...I don't usually go in for this genre, but this seems fascinating.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Alice Audrey said...

I think I could take a bite out of this one.

Heather said...

Jennifer: Thanks. The premise of the book intrigued me when I first read it.

Majanka: Thank you. This entire series has some great looking covers.

Marg: It is a great cover to look at it, isn't it? The cover artist(s) did an excellent job with this series.

Heather said...

Karen: Thanks, and thank you for visiting.

Sally: You're a lot further along in the series than a friend and I are. We only just discovered it through the Charlaine Harris anthology that was out last year. It was one of the few short stories that interested us enough to search out other books by the author.

Heather said...

Kaye: No, not that big a departure, really. My tastes run the gamut of fiction, romance and mystery--with or without paranormal elements. All the better when mystery, romance and the paranormal come together as one. Growing up, I was often drawn to books about ghosts and witches, but I draw the line at horror. That's one genre I have never liked.

While I am not as rabid about vampires as some readers, there are a few series I like, such as the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris and the Undead series by MaryJanice Davidson. I also have Katie MacAllister sitting on the TBR shelf. The one series that totally turns me off is Laurel K Hamilton.

This particular series was discovered through the anthology out last year, Death's Excellent Vacation, which I confess is still on my shelf, borrowed from a friend. Anyway, the short story by Jeaniene Frost is one of the few she really liked, so for Christmas I bought her the first two books in the series.

I admit, when I read the back and first couple pages of book one, it was all I could do not to read them before wrapping, but being the good friend I am, I wrapped them right away. Not like I didn't know they'd come back my way when she was done. *g*

She called me the next week and said the first book was so good she'd read it in about a day and a half, so no surprise it only took me two days as well. I probably would have finished it sooner, too, if not for those pesky Oscars Sunday night. *g*

Heather said...

Laurel-Rain: Thanks, it was a good book. There is some language and *ahem* adult content (what good romance doesn't contain that, right?), but I like the author's voice and the little touches of sarcastic humor.

Alice: Bite...haha. Cute. Actually, I think you really might like this one. Give it a try! *g*

kayerj said...

sounds interesting. nice teaser. Kaye—the road goes ever ever on

Anonymous said...

here's mine http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/03/teaser-tuesday-imperfect-endings.html

Jenny Q said...

Great teasers! I really want to read this author. Thanks for stopping by!

Alice Audrey said...

All right. I'll put it on my wish list.