Monday, March 21, 2011

Teaser Tuesday 77: Mockingjay

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

* Grab your current book or recent read.
* Share a few “teaser” sentences from somewhere in the book.
* BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (Make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away. You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
* Share the title and author so that other participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teaser!


How I spent my weekend—well, part of it anyway. I read half the book on Saturday, then finished before bed on Sunday. 400 pages in two days. Whew! No wonder I felt so tired Monday. *G*

And, I'm sure you all won't mind if I offer up not one, but three quotes from this phenomanal book. If you haven't yet read this trilogy, what are you waiting for?




Frankly, our ancestors don’t seem much to brag about. I mean, look at the state they left us in, with the wars and the broken planet. Clearly, they didn’t care about what would happen to the people who came after them. (pg 84)


President Snow says he’s sending us a message? Well, I have one for him. You can torture us and bomb us and burn our districts to the ground, but do you see that? Fire is catching! And if we burn, you burn with us!” (pg 100)


What I need is the dandelion in the spring. The bright yellow that means rebirth instead of destruction. The promise that life can go on, no matter how bad our losses. That it can be good again. (pg 388)



About the Book:
Mockingjay (book three of series)
By Suzanne Collins
Genre: YA

Young Katniss Everdeen has survived the dreaded Hunger Games not once, but twice, but even now she can find no relief. In fact, the dangers seem to be escalating: President Snow has declared an all-out war on Katniss, her family, her friends, and all the oppressed people of District 12. The thrill-packed final installment of Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games trilogy will keep young hearts pounding.



10 comments:

Shelley Munro said...

Raising hand - I haven't read this series yet. I've heard great things about it though and will get to it one day :)

Here’s My Teaser

Alice Audrey said...

I haven't read this one yet. I went to get it a couple weeks ago, but the store I went to only had it in hardbound.

Julie said...

Oh, my gosh! I did the same thing with Hunger Games and Catching Fire .. once I opened them, I read them and read them and almost forgot to eat! They were finished within a weekend! Thanks for sharing your teasers! (With Mockingjay, I was a little less intense, but I think I still finished it in two days!)

Heather said...

Shelley: I hope you get to it sooner rather than later. It truly is a great series!

Alice: It only just came out in HC in August, so imagine it will be a while yet before it's out in paperback. Any chance of borrowing it from a library?

Julie: Due to family stuff going on last year, it took me a few days each on the first two books. But with this one--I was determined to read it in one rainy weekend so I would not have to carry a heavy hardcover around with me. Glad i did, even if it did leave me emotionally wrung out.

gautami tripathy said...

Very good teaser. I will check it out. Looking at all those teassers only makes my tbr pile longer! So many books, so less time to read, so less space to keep!

Here is my Teaser Tuesday: Out At Night by Susan Arnout Smith post!
roppip

kayerj said...

great choices--I really liked this series. Kaye—the road goes ever ever on

Sally said...

Great teasers! I am really looking forward to this series. Hoping to start it soon.
Sally.
http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/03/teaser-tuesday-11.html

Heather said...

Gautami: I know what you mean, I add a couple new titles to my book list every week.

Thanks, Kaye! I think I first heard of this series through Teaser Tuesday.

Sally: I hope you enjoy the series as much as I have!

Lori: Dearest, you really need to start reading people's posts before you comment. ;-)

Jenny Q said...

I tell everybody about these books! They blew me away. Top-notch, first class storytelling! You chose great teasers! Thanks for stopping by :)

Heather said...

Lady Q: Thank you, I think this series is well-worth reading too. I've been trying to get one friend to read them, but she refuses to, based on the premise (children killing children). I keep telling her it goes deeper than that and that they are good, fast reads, but does she listen? Sigh... *g*