Friday, August 12, 2011

Up Up and Away... my beautiful,
my beautiful balloon.

Shortly after 6 o'clock Wednesday evening, I decided to take advantage of the lovely cool weather (it was only 75 degrees!) and get out for a long walk. Before I had even turned off my street, I was waylaid by a neighbor coming up the other direction. We got to chatting and next thing we knew a half hour had passed. As it turns out, it was a good thing she delayed my walk, for as I turned west off our street, this is what I saw:

And it was heading my direction! I quickened my pace so as to keep it in sight—which, if you are familiar with how fast I walk, is really saying something. I can walk a mile in fifteen, no problem.

The balloon sailed over the Nakoma neighborhood and skirted the edge of the Arboretum before crossing the highway. I lost it for a few minutes at that point, as it passed it front of the lowering sun, but did not have to wait long before catching sight again.

It was then I realized it had slightly altered course, going more towards the south than east. It was no longer coming towards me, but was now moving off to my right. So I hurried along to the next street I could turn down.

It passed over the Grady Tract of the Arboretum and the Arbor Hills neighborhood—if you look closely at this pic, you can see the fire glowing inside the bottom of the balloon.

And then, alas, it sank behind the trees, landing in a field behind the subdivision, about a mile and a quarter from where I stood. At this point I was wishing I was a bit further along than I was and nearer the path that leads behind the southern row of houses. It would have been cool to see them land! But then, the trees are so dense through here, I might not have seen the balloon at all if I had been at the other end of the road.

In any case, I need to thank my neighbor for delaying me. My usual walk around the neighborhood takes me 30 to 45 minutes, depending which streets I decide to follow, and how long I decide to walk. A half hour earlier along this route and I would have been headed for home, with the balloon at my back. So glad I did not miss it! Though I was already in a fairly decent mood from being able to get out for a good walk, it definitely lifted my spirits even higher. No pun intended. *g*


Shelley Munro said...

How cool. I've been lucky enough to fly in a balloon. It's very serene and peaceful and the champagne at the end of the flight went down well.

You do walk fast. It's a pity you live so far away because we could walk together. :)

Janet said...

I love when a delay results in something fun :-)

Heather said...

Shelley: I would love to go up in a hot air balloon sometime. Really wish I could afford the college alum trip this fall to the big rally in New Mexico. Now that would be cool!

Janet: Those are the best kind of delays! *g*

Jana said...

Awesome. What a happy accident. :) It does look very restful.

It's a good thing we don't live closer together...trying to keep up with your fast pace would kill me.

Heather said...

Jana: Well... Just because I can walk a mile in 15 doesn't mean I always do. I do slack off a bit depending on weather and grade of incline. ;)

Anonymous said...

Very very neat ~ and just walking down the road. It's good stopping by.. Don’t know if you remember me but I used to read your blog. I am making some cool Tie Dye Cross-stitch Art and am trying to get the word out (I don’t have much traffic as of yet) You can check out my link to my Etsy Shop on my blog if your interested. Hope all is well and I enjoyed stopping in again.