Monday, September 19, 2011

Teaser Tuesday 100: Sense and Sensibility

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

* Grab your current book or recent read.
* Share a few “teaser” sentences from somewhere in the book.
* BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (Make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away. You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
* Share the title and author so that other participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teaser!


This week marks my 100th Teaser Tuesday posting. It’s hard to believe I have been participating in this weekly meme for two years now. Time has certainly gone by fast! The first book I featured was a cozy mystery by Laura Childs, Keepsake Crimes, on September 15, 2009. Yep...almost two years to the day!

This week’s teaser comes from the next book on my TBR pile, Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen, which is one of this month’s group reads for TNBBC at Good Reads. I look forward to watching the movie again once I've finished!





‘Your father thought only of them. And I must say this: that you owe no particular gratitude to him, nor attention to his wishes, for we very well know that if he could, he would have left almost everything in the world to them.’

(Mrs. John Dashwood, Chapter 2)









About the Book:

Introduction and Notes by Professor Stephen Arkin, San Francisco University.

'Young women who have no economic or political power must attend to the serious business of contriving material security'. Jane Austen's sardonic humour lays bare the stratagems, the hypocrisy and the poignancy inherent in the struggle of two very different sisters to achieve respectability.

Sense and Sensibility is a delightful comedy of manners in which the sisters Elinor and Marianne represent these two qualities. Elinor's character is one of Augustan detachment, while Marianne, a fervent disciple of the Romantic Age, learns to curb her passionate nature in the interests of survival.

This book, the first of Austen's novels to be published, remains as fresh a cautionary tale today as it ever was.


12 comments:

Claire said...

Great teaser. Mine is from a classic this week as well.

My teaser is here if you'd like a look :)

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Awesome! Thanks for sharing from this treasure.

Here's MY TT POST and
MY WEBSITE

Alice Audrey said...

I have got to re-read this. It was my first Jane Austen book.

Beth F said...

I know just the scene that came from! Good one.

Hannah said...

I have never read this though of course, I've seen many film adaptations. Here is my TT post:

http://fancifulreader.com/2011/09/20/teaser-tuesdays-cold-magic/

Anonymous said...

A very nice teaser, from a great story.

here's mine:

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/09/teaser-tuesday_20.html

Jana said...

I'm so lame. I haven't read this or even seen the movie. One of these years...

Anonymous said...

I always like a classic teaser. :)

My TT

Jenny Q said...

Great teaser! Now I'm dying to know who "them" is! Can you believe I still haven't read anything by Jane Austen? And 200 posts, wow! Now I'm curious to count up how many I have!

jlshall said...

Wow, congratulations on your teasing anniversary! That's a lot of teasers.

I've never read Sense and Sensibility, but it's definitely on my must-read list.

My teaser: Let's All Kill Constance

Anonymous said...

Someone sounds quite bitter... nice teaser. Thanks for visiting mine.

Heather said...

Thanks for all the great comments, everyone!

Alice: My first Austen was Emma, in HS English, and I hated it. I have loved everything else by her I've read, which is everything except Lady Susan. I've sort of been thinking about giving Emma another go, to see if I feel differently toward it now. Worked for Huck Finn, anyway.

Jana: What?! I cannot believe you've never seen Sense and Sensibility. Why aren't you netflixing this?

Hannah: I've seen only two versions, the award-winning Emma Thompson/Hugh Grant/Kate Winslet version, and the more recent BBC adaptation.

Jenny Q: If you've seen the movie, you should know to whom Fanny (Mrs John Dashwood) refers when she speaks of "them." ;)

Jenny and Joy: Thanks for the congrats on 200 posts. I still can't believe I've done that many! *g*