Monday, January 30, 2012

Teaser Tuesday 117: Chasing Fire

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

* Grab your current book or recent read.
* Share a few “teaser” sentences from somewhere in the book.
* BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (Make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away. You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
* Share the title and author so that other participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teaser!


Spent much of the weekend fighting wildfires in Montana. Okay, so physically I was curled up with Chasing Fire by Nora Roberts (a novel about smoke jumpers), an afghan and a box of Kleenex. Finished the book, now if only I could be done with the cold! These lines come from somewhere near the middle.




Flames kindled with a whoosh as they gulped fuel and oxygen. Burning the body as the soul would burn. Peace settled while the fire climbed and spread.

How did it feel to murder and burn?

It felt right.

(pg 299)





BOOK COVER BLURB for CHASING FIRE:

Little else in life is as dangerous as fire jumping. Flying past towering pillars of smoke, parachuting down to the edge of an all-consuming blaze, shoveling and sawing for hours upon hours, days at a time, all to hold the line and push back against the raw power of Mother Nature.

But there's also little else as thrilling—at least to Rowan Tripp. The Missoula smoke jumpers are one of the most exclusive fire-fighting squads in the nation, and the job is in Rowan's blood: her father is a legend in the field. She's been fighting fires since her eighteenth birthday. At this point, returning to the wilds of Montana for the season feels like coming home—even with reminders of the partner she lost last season still lingering in the air.

Fortunately, this year's rookie crop is among the strongest ever—and Gulliver Curry's one of the best. He's also a walking contradiction, a hotshot firefighter with a big vocabulary and a winter job at a kid's arcade. He came to Missoula to follow in the footsteps of Lucas "Iron Man" Tripp, yet he's instantly more fascinated by his hero's daughter. Rowan, as a rule, doesn't hook up with other smoke jumpers, but Gull is convinced he can change her mind. And damn if he doesn't make a good case to be an exception to the rule.

Everything is thrown off balance, though, when a dark presence lashes out against Rowan, looking to blame someone for last year's tragedy. Rowan knows she can't complicate things with Gull—any distractions in the air or on the ground could be lethal. But if she doesn't find someone she can lean on when the heat gets intense, her life may go down in flames.



16 comments:

Shelley Munro said...

Wow, this sounds like it should be on my to-read list. I haven't read any Nora Roberts books for ages.

Heather said...

Shelley: It really should be! *g*

Book Loving Mommy said...

Oh, I really enjoyed this book! I love Nora Roberts :) Great teaser!!

Mine is here: http://booklovingmommy.blogspot.com/2012/01/teaser-tuesday-january-31-2012.html

Sierra said...

I have never read a Roberts title, but this tease really intrigues me!

Thanks for the teaser! :D
My TT

Alan said...

intriguing! Here is mine:
http://eyesandearsblog.blogspot.com/2012/01/teaser-tuesday_31.html

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

This one does sound fabulous! Nora certainly brings a variety of books to her audience. Between her "Nora" ones and "J. D. Robb," she has an amazing range.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Jan said...

Very intense, sounds like a real page turner. Thanks for sharing!

Heather said...

Book Loving Mommy: It was good, wasn't it?

Sierra: I think the great thing about Nora Roberts is that she has such a vast array of novels, there is something for pretty much everyone, whether you like romance, romantic suspense, or fantasy.

Alan: Thanks, and thank you for visiting!

Heather said...

Laurel-Rain: I think the fact she has such a variety of books is why she appeals to so many, whether writing as Nora Roberts or JD Robb.

Janet Ruth: Definitely a page turner. Thanks for stopping by!

Hazel said...

I've never read Nora Roberts but she sounds 'multi' with those different genres she wrote.

Alice Audrey said...

This sounds more like her JD Robb than what a lot of her older work did.

kayerj said...

now that's a teaser. kaye—the road goes ever ever on

Kathy Martin said...

Thanks for reminding me that I have this book somewhere in my TBR mountain. I don't know what happened. I usually devour Nora's books as soon as they arrive. I'll have to go digging when I get home.

Thanks for visiting my blog and happy reading!

Heather said...

Hazel: Yes, Nora Roberts definitely straddles multiple genres/subgenres.

Alice: It's certainly different from her romance novels, but as far as suspense goes, I'd say it's on a par with books she wrote in the 1990s.

Kaye: Thank you! *G*

Kathy: If it makes you feel better, this was sitting in my TBR pile since July or August. I kept thinking I would read it next, but then something else would jump to the top of the pile.

JLS Hall said...

Wonderful teaser! I've never read anything by Nora Roberts, but I've definitely got her on my TBR list.

Beth said...

Oh, my, what a teaser! Thanks for stopping by.