Monday, June 24, 2013

Teaser Tuesday 178: Caroline Takes a Chance

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

* Grab your current book or recent read.
* Share a few "teaser" sentences from somewhere in the book.
* BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (Make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away. You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
* Share the title and author so that other participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teaser!


Kathleen Ernst has written numerous titles in the American Girls series, including those for the newest American Girl, Caroline, as well as several adult mysteries. During her "25 in 25" giveaway, I entered to win one of the Caroline books for my youngest niece, and was pleased to win a signed copy of Caroline Takes a Chance. Naturally, I had to read it before presenting it to my niece. *G*


The British ship was well away but still making its determined progress toward them. "Go!" Caroline yelled across the water to Irish Jack and his men. "You can make it!" She hugged her arms across her chest, every muscle tight, wishing she could help them row.

(Chapter two)




ABOUT THE BOOK:
American Girls: Caroline Book Four
Children, age 8 and up
Setting: Sackets Harbor, NY during the War of 1812

Caroline, like everyone else in Sackets Harbor, is waiting anxiously for the first supply boats of the year to arrive. Without supplies, the shipyards can’t build boats to fight the British. When Caroline and her friends Rhonda and Seth go out fishing in Papa’s skiff, they’re excited to catch sight of a supply boat—until they realize that it’s being chased by a British warship. Desperate to save the supply boat, Caroline comes up with a daring idea. Will her plan work? Or is it a dangerous and foolish risk? Caroline has no time to think—she can only plunge ahead.




22 comments:

Alice Audrey said...

I really, really want to know what her daring trick is.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Sounds really tempting...love the teaser and that cover.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Beth said...

What a great idea. I think I will add this to my blog schedule. :)

I love picking up books that I read as a kid. This is one I haven't read. Might have to add it to my TBR pile.

Mei said...

Sounds cute!
Here's my Teaser Tuesday The Program

Kathy Martin said...

I haven't read any of these or added to my media center yet. This seems like a series that has lost its popularity with my students. Thanks for visiting my blog. Happy reading!

Beth said...

My daughter has this book. I'll have to go look for it to find out what is happening.
My teaser comes from a Dorothy Sayers mystery.

Heather said...

Alice: I guess I've done my job then, if you're wondering what she's done. *WG*

Heather said...

Thanks, Laurel-Rain. It is a nice cover, isn't it?

Heather said...

Bethanne: I've only recently started picking up/rereading some of the books I read as a kid, books that would have interested me as a kid, or books by authors I loved. Some I intend to pass on to my 8-yr-old niece, while there are others I intend to keep. This is one I intentionally tried to win for my niece. *G*

Heather said...

Mei: It was a cute story, and I think my niece will enjoy Caroline's adventure. :)

Heather said...

Kathy: I'm sorry to hear that the series isn't as popular as it used to be. Older nieces of mine who just graduated HS and college loved the earlier books when they were little, and their 8-yr-old cousin loves reading in general, so I hope she will like it. Thanks for visiting!

Heather said...

Hi Beth! I'm glad to hear that your daughter has the book. I hope she (and you!) enjoy(ed) it.

Sandra Nachlinger said...

My granddaughter is a little bit too young for these books, but I'll definitely get them for her when she's older. I think I'd like them too!
My Teaser is from ORPHAN TRAIN.

Heather said...

Sandy: Why wait? Get them and put them away for her! :D

CountryDew said...

I have never read any of these books; I should check them out.

Yvonne said...

I haven't read this one. Sounds good.

Heather said...

Anita: I confess, this is the first AG book I have read, though I've long been familiar with the books and dolls as they are a local enterprise. Or at least they were before Mattel bought the company. ;)

Heather said...

Hi Yvonne! It was a good book. If these had been around when I was my niece's age, I'd have been as hooked on these as I was Trixie Belden. ☺

kayerj said...

sounds like a good story. I used to buy American girl stories for my girls. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

Julie said...

Yay! I'm not the only one who "pre-reads" the kids' books! Thanks for sharing!

Heather said...

Kelley: It was a good story, and you know I love people who buy their children books.

Heather said...

Julie: LOL...occassionally, yes. Sometimes I pick up something for my niece that either sounds good, or that I remember reading as a kid, and the temptation is just too much. *G*