Monday, January 20, 2014

Teaser Tuesday 203: The Widow

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

* Grab your current book or recent read.
* Share a few "teaser" sentences from somewhere in the book.
* BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (Make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away. You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
* Share the title and author so that other participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teaser!



This week I am reading a rom-suspense by Carla Neggers, The Widow. This is the first book in her Boston Police/FBI quartet. Here are a few lines from the first chapter.


As I step into the back room, I see not a cracked window but the door to the porch standing wide open, and for the first time I feel a jolt of real fear.

I didn’t leave the door open.

"Chris?"

I call my husband's name just as I hear floorboards creak behind me.

Just as the blow comes to the back of my head.



ABOUT THE BOOK:

Four days after Abigail Browning's wedding, her life changed unimaginably; her husband was fatally shot along the rocky Mount Desert Island coast. Was it a random act of violence, or could someone have wanted Christopher dead?

That's the question that has haunted Abigail, now a homicide detective, for the past seven years. Determined to find her husband’s killer, she returns to the foggy Maine island after receiving an anonymous tip. Is it just another false lead, or can she finally prove that Christopher was murdered?

Owen Garrison, the search-and-rescue worker who located Chris too late to save him, still carries guilt from that fateful night. As he helps Abigail unravel the mystery, they learn that the layers of deceit and lies are even thicker than they could have imagined. Now it’s up to Abigail and Owen to keep pushing for the truth—and stop a killer from striking again . . .



24 comments:

Shelley Munro said...

Ooh! Nice teaser, heather. I think I'd enjoy this one.

Catherine @ Book Club Librarian said...

I love Carla Neggers's books. Hope you enjoy this one.

My Tuesday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2014/01/first-chapter-first-paragraph-46.html

Sandra Nachlinger said...

Lots of tension and suspense in your Teaser. I'll read this book.
My Teaser is from REFLECTIONS OF MAMIE.

Heather said...

Shelley: Thank you, I think you'd like this book. ☺

Heather said...

Sandra: Thanks, I think you might like this one. :)

Cleopatra Loves Books said...

Oh no that doesn't sound great! Good choice of teaser this sounds like my kind of read!

Heather said...

Cleopatra: Definitely not good. Glad you like the sound of this one. *G*

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Ooh, I'm going to have to check this one out! Sounds suspenseful. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

Yvonne said...

I love Carla Neggers' books. I haven't read one in a long time and this sounds very good.

Heather said...

Laurel-Rain: It's very suspenseful. I'm eager to get to the end and find out who the murderer was.

Heather said...

Yvonne: I've only read a couple books by this author now, but like what I've read so far.

JLS Hall said...

Excellent teaser! Carla Neggers is one of the "new authors" I'm hoping to read this year, and this sounds like it might be a good book to start with.

kayerj said...

I'm scared! nice pick on the teaser. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

Heather said...

Joy: I only discovered Neggers last year, and am eager to read more. I hope you'll seek this one out, or one of her more recent series.

Heather said...

Kelley: LOL...thanks! ☺

Nise' said...

Sounds like a good one! I have not read this author.

Heather said...

Nise': It is good, and a fairly fast read, too. Glad to introduce you to a "new-to-you" author. ;)

Heather said...

Alice: Something to look for along with more by JR Ward, huh? :D

Unknown said...

Very good teaser. I hope you're enjoying this!

Karen and Gerard said...

Good teaser! I think I'll look this one up at the library.

Heather said...

Andrea: Thanks, I am enjoying it. Less than a quarter to go! ☺

Heather said...

Karen & Gerard: Thank you. I hope you can find it at your library, and that you enjoy it. :)

Alice Audrey said...

Yeah, my shelves could use some replenishing.

Heather said...

Mine definitely don't, yet for every book I read I somehow seem to add had two or three more. :-|