Monday, April 28, 2014

Teaser Tuesday 216: The Witness

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

* Grab your current book or recent read.
* Share a few "teaser" sentences from somewhere in the book.
* BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (Make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away. You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
* Share the title and author so that other participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teaser!



This week, I am finishing up The Witness, a rom-suspense by Nora Roberts. And yes, for those keeping score, this is the seventh Roberts book I've read this year, and the fifth to be featured for Teaser Tuesday. Probably won't be the last, either, as there are several more at top of Mount TBR.


She ran blindly, eyes wide and glazed, breath ripping out of her lungs in sobs and gasps. She couldn't release the scream clawing at her throat.

(Chapter 4)








ABOUT THE BOOK:

Daughter of a cold, controlling mother and an anonymous donor, studious, obedient Elizabeth Fitch finally let loose one night, drinking too much at a nightclub and allowing a strange man’s seductive Russian accent to lure her to a house on Lake Shore Drive.

Twelve years later, the woman now known as Abigail Lowery lives alone on the outskirts of a small town in the Ozarks. A freelance security systems designer, her own protection is supplemented by a fierce dog and an assortment of firearms. She keeps to herself, saying little, revealing nothing. Unfortunately, that seems to be the quickest way to get attention in a tiny southern town.

The mystery of Abigail Lowery and her sharp mind, secretive nature and unromantic viewpoint intrigues local police chief Brooks Gleason, on both a personal and professional level. And while he suspects that Abigail needs protection from something, Gleason is accustomed to two-bit troublemakers, not the powerful and dangerous men who are about to have him in their sights.

And Abigail Lowery, who has built a life based on security and self-control, is at risk of losing both.



22 comments:

Shelley Munro said...

Good teaser. You can feel her gasping for breath. Nora Roberts has a great way with words.

Shelley Munro

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I absolutely LOVED this book....I could not put it down.

I am a big fan of Nora's suspense books, and this one is a favorite.

Thanks for sharing, and here's mine:


“A DESIRABLE RESIDENCE”

Heather said...

Thanks, Shelley! Nora really put readers in the moment throughout this scene, and the events immediately preceeding it.

Heather said...

Laurel-Rain: It has definitely been a page-turner. I thought I would be able to finish before bed last night, but still have about 80 pages to go. Today, for sure!

Alice Audrey said...

That's a dramatic moment.

Yvonne said...

That's definitely a teaser that grabs you!

Anonymous said...

A great teaser, sounds good to me.

Heather said...

Alice: Indeed--and in more ways than one!

Yvonne: Thank you, glad it caught your attention! :)

Tribute: Thank you, the book is really good. ☺

Kimberly @ Turning the Pages said...

Great teaser, definitely sounds like an emotional roller coaster of a read.
Here's my Teaser Tuesday
-Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

JC Jones said...

I really liked The Witness. Nora Roberts knows how to write a great story. I don't have a teaser this week but do have a author's guest post on character building. Guest Post

Kathy Martin said...

Great teaser! I always enjoy Nora Roberts. I have her newest on my stack. Thanks for visiting my blogs. Happy reading!

Sandra Nachlinger said...

Sounds like a good story. Nora Roberts never disappoints.
My Teaser is from A SLIGHT CHANGE OF PLAN.

Heather said...

Kimberly: There were a few intense scenes, but I would expect no less from a NR rom-suspense.

JC: She does indeed know how to craft a good story. Finally almost done with this one, and have quite enjoyed it.

Heather said...

Kathy: I have the last three in Mount TBR. I've sort of put off starting the "Cousins O'Dwyer" trilogy until the last one comes out, so I can read them all together. The Collector, however, may be coming up much sooner. ☺

Sandra: It is a good one, a bit different than some of her other suspense. I'm eager to see how it ends!

Greg said...

Sound intense- I like a good suspenseful read. This one sounds like it definetly delivers.

Heather said...

Greg: Just finished, and it definitely delivered. Loved this one! ☺

Ali @ Ali's Books said...

One of my top 5 all-time faves is a Nora Roberts - Honest Illusions. I've read it multiple times & it never gets old! I'll have to check this one out. Here's mine - http://alisbooks.wordpress.com/2014/04/29/teaser-tuesdays-9/

Heather said...

Hi Alison! Honest Illusions is one of many NR books in Mount TBR. She puts them out faster than you can catch up, LOL! And that's just the NR books. I haven't read any of her JD Robb books. :-|

Unknown said...

How intense! I hope tote enjoying the book. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Every time you post about one of Nora Roberts books I remind myself I must try one - we have a charity used book sale next weekend so I'm going to see what I can find :-)

Heather said...

Andrea: Yes, there were a few intense scenes, especially at the beginning. Finished yesterday and did enjoy it.

Heather said...

Cleopatra: Hehe...Glad to hear I intrigue you more with each Nora teaser posted. She certainly has a wide selection of books from which to choose, single title as well as series.