Monday, June 02, 2014

Teaser Tuesday 220: East of Eden

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

* Grab your current book or recent read.
* Share a few "teaser" sentences from somewhere in the book.
* BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (Make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away. You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
* Share the title and author so that other participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teaser!




I am currently reading East of Eden by John Steinbeck for a classics group read. I made good progress last week, but did not get to spend much time reading over the weekend. Good book so far, and not a single "just then" in sight (see yesterday's rant).




Her voice was dead and metallic. "I don't give a damn what you believe. I'm going."

(Chapter 17)










ABOUT THE BOOK:

Set in the rich farmland of California’s Salinas Valley, this sprawling and often brutal novel follows the intertwined destinies of two families—the Trasks and the Hamiltons—whose generations helplessly reenact the fall of Adam and Eve and the poisonous rivalry of Cain and Abel. Here Steinbeck created some of his most memorable characters and explored his most enduring themes: the mystery of identity; the inexplicability of love; and the murderous consequences of love’s absence.




18 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I need to reread this one...I haven't read it since high school...was that 100 years ago? LOL

I have Grapes of Wrath sitting on my shelf waiting for a reread.

Here's mine: “KEEP YOUR FRIENDS CLOSE”


Heather said...

laurel-Rain: Some days it feels like a hundred years ago, doesn't it? I loved both Mice and Grapes, so kind of surprising I had not read this or any other book by Steinbeck before now.

Unknown said...

Ooh, I like that

http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2014/06/teaser-tuesdays.html

Sandra Nachlinger said...

I've heard of this book for years but have never read it! Now I definitely want to. Thanks for reminding me.
My Teaser is from SINFUL FOLK. There's a giveaway too.

Faith Hope and Cherrytea said...

have only read his Grapes of Wrath - again, a school requirement!

My TT is a wee bit of classic nostalgia as well...

Cleopatra Loves Books said...

I've not read this one although I have read the more popular too something I mean to reread now I'm older and wiser haha. Thanks for visiting my TT Here's Mine: http://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com/2014/06/03/teaser-tuesday-june-3/

Yvonne said...

I never read this one. You have my interest.

Heather said...

Valentina: Thanks, I thought it a good, emotional choice for a teaser. *g*

Heather said...

Sandra: Yeah, it's taken me a while to get round to this one. I'm glad I decided to join in on the group read.

Heather said...

Faith: I read GoW twice in college and loved it both times. Your teaser is from one of my favorite childhood books. ☺

Heather said...

Cleo: LOL...I hope you will consider giving this one a try. It's taken me a while to get through it, but it's good. I've finally reached the 2/3 point and anxious to hit The End.

Heather said...

Yvonne: Glad to have piqued your interest! ☺

Unknown said...

This week my teaser is from a mystery:

http://pdworkman.com/excerpt-from-tin-god-teasertuesday/

Heather said...

Thanks for visiting, PD!

Jenny @ Book Sojourner said...

East of Eden took me a while to read, but by the end I loved it. It's truly a classic masterpiece. Enjoy!

Heather said...

Thanks, Jenny -- only 200 pages to go! :-\

Unknown said...

Interesting teaser. I feel as if I read this, many years ago. I hope you're enjoying the book!

Heather said...

Thanks, Andrea, it has been good so far.