Thursday, July 31, 2014

Thursday Thirteen 340: Concerts on the Square


Concertmaster Suzanne Beia performs
Mozart's "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik"
on July 16.
Wednesday evening, July 30, was the final performance of this season's Concerts on the Square. The concerts are performed by the Wisconsin Chamber Orchestra every Wednesday for six consecutive weeks, and are free (donation sponsored) to the public. The orchestra plays a variety of music from classical to stage and show tunes to pop. In its 31-year run, the orchestra has only had two conductors, and now welcomes a crowd of over 10,000 every Wednesday night. This week's crowd was estimated at 30-40, 000. The Square was packed solid!



People can set out blankets and
chairs beginning at 3pm.
This week's theme was "ShamROCKS!" The first half featured traditional Irish music, while the second half featured the music of U2 performed by guest artists, Jeans 'N Classics, and featured a light show. I had hoped to include a few photos from last night, but Word 7's photo feature is awful -- I can't process pics the way I can on my home computer, so . . . we're stuck with what I uploaded before leaving for last night's concert. Here is a listing of some of the music enjoyed at this final concert:



1. The Wearing of the Green/The Last Rose of Summer/The Rakes of Mallow -- arranged by Leroy Anderson

Many people bring books and spend the
afternoon reading or people-watching.
2. Irish Suite for Strings (II. Windy Gap / III. Fishamble Street - Dublin 1742 / V. On the Bridge at Clash) -- by Arthur Duff

3. Youthful Suite (II. Rustic Dance) -- by Percy Grainger

4. Danny Boy by Frederic Edward Weatherly (Which was, interestingly enough, written by an English lawyer)

5. The Irish Washerwoman/The Minstrel Boy/The Girl I Left Behind Arranged by Leroy Anderson


The U2 portion:

Chairs set on the lawn must be the
low beach type with tubular legs.
6. I Will Follow / Vertigo

7. Beautiful Day

8. Angel of Harlem

9. With or Without You

10. New Year's Day
11. Sunday Bloody Sunday / Pride



The Wisconsin Chamber Orchestra,
performing on July 23.
12. Desire

13. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me

BONUS:

14. Where the Streets Have No Name

15. Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For






A view from the Capitol's observation deck, hours
before the concert starts.




LINKING TO: Thursday Thirteen






18 comments:

Hazel said...

Concerts like this are just wonderful. You get beautiful music for free. Over here in my nook of the world, the government provides mats for people to sit on. I would love to listen to nos. 1,2, and 8.

Heather said...

Hi Hazel! They do provide a small section of metal folding chairs for elderly concert-goers, but otherwise people bring their own blankets and chairs and stake space as early as they can get up there. It's like one big picnic on concert nights!

Unknown said...

Looks like a great way to spend an evening! I look for free and low cost concerts, and to support local bands as much as I can.
Thanks for stopping by at Animal Anarchy.

Heather said...

Adam: It's an excellent way to spend a summer evening. We lucked out this year with perfect weather each week. Usually there are one or two with stifling temperatures or rain, but not this year. 75F with a light breeze every week! ☺

Alice Audrey said...

The last of them? Are we really that far into Summer? I feel the days of my life passing entirely too quickly.

colleen said...

Sounds like something I'd love especially if they threw in a bit of Van Morrison.

Heather said...

Alice: Yup, six weeks have flown by in the blink of an eye. Can you believe 7/12 of the year has already passed?? :-\

Heather said...

Colleen: I can't remember if they've ever played something by Van Morrison, but they do play a nice variety of music. Some weeks it's all classical, some weeks it's a nice mix of pop or stage/screen standards. I bet you'd love it no matter was on the program, just for the people-watching aspect of it.

Jennifer Leeland said...

So awesome!! I've never heard of Percy Grainger. I'm going to have to go look.

CountryDew said...

Gosh, what a lot of people! That's astonishing. I loved that last shot of the quilts.

Paige Tyler said...

Very cool! We have something like that on the landing near the water.

*hugs*
Paige

My TT is at http://paigetylertheauthor.blogspot.com

Heather said...

Jennifer: I'd heard of Grainger, but if asked could not name anything he has composed. The music was nice, though. :-\

Heather said...

Anita: It was a lot of people! It's amazing how quickly the lawn becomes a patchwork of quilts and blankets. The sidewalk and two streets where one can set up chairs fills up equally as fast.

Heather said...

Paige: It was very cool! I just wish I could get the comp at work to acknowledge my camera software so I can upload pics from there. There is more about Word 7 that I dislike than like. :-\

Alice Audrey said...

Actually, sitting here sweating out the 90 degree days, I guess I do believe it.

Heather said...

I'm glad we're having a below normal summer. We've only hit 90 once or twice this year. We only had five days in July that were above 80. ☺

Mary Quast said...

My hometown was failing then the comunity stepped up. To see outdoor concerts is now a weekely event. Crime rates have droped, coffee house business is up. I love it! Happy TT

Heather said...

That's awesome, Mary!