Monday, August 11, 2014

Teaser Tuesday 230: Bridge to Terabithia

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

* Grab your current book or recent read.
* Share a few "teaser" sentences from somewhere in the book.
* BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (Make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away. You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
* Share the title and author so that other participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teaser!



I reread this classic childhood favorite over the weekend. Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson was a 1978 Newbery Medal winner.


The closer he came to the dry creek bed and the crab apple tree rope the more he could feel the beating of his heart. He grabbed the end of the rope and swung out toward the other bank with a kind of wild exhilaration and landed gently on his feet, taller and stronger and wiser in that mysterious land.

(Chapter four: Rulers of Terabithia)





ABOUT THE BOOK:

Jess Aarons' greatest ambition is to be the fastest runner in fifth grade. He's been practicing all summer and can't wait to see his classmates' faces when he beats them all. But on the first day of school, a new kid, a new girl, boldly crosses over to the boys' side of the playground and outruns everyone.

That's not a very promising beginning for a friendship, but Jess and Leslie Burke become inseparable. It doesn't matter to Jess that Leslie dresses funny, or that her family has a lot of money -- but no TV. Leslie has imagination. Together, she and Jess create Terabithia, a magical kingdom in the woods where the two of them reign as king and queen, and their imaginations set the only limits. Then one morning a terrible tragedy occurs. Only when Jess is able to come to grips with this tragedy does he finally understand the strength and courage Leslie has given him.






12 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Love the sound of this one...I saw the movie with two of my grandkids awhile ago. Thanks for sharing.

Here's mine: “THE FURIES”

kayerj said...

One of the best books ever! kelley—the road goes ever ever on

Heather said...

Laurel-Rain: I saw the movie a few years ago, which was what inspired the interest to reread the book. It's definitely worth picking up!

Heather said...

Kelley: Isn't it a beautifully written book? Thanks for visiting!

Sandra Nachlinger said...

I saw the movie but never read the book. Sounds like I should!
My Teaser is from WHERE OR WHEN.

Heather said...

Sandy: Yes, you really should. The movie was good, but I highly recommend reading the book. ☺

Unknown said...

Oh, gods, I so adore this story! It was one of the first books that ever made me cry. Thanks for sharing, I have to re-read this at some point!!
My Teaser.

Heather said...

Kerry: I'm happy to share this memory with you. It was one of many books my sisters and I carted home from the library. ☺

Cleopatra Loves Books said...

Reading the synopsis I think I read this one (many years ago) Great teaser choice and it sounds like a lovely book. Thanks for visiting my TT http://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com/2014/08/12/teaser-tuesday-august-12/

Heather said...

Hi Cleo! I hope you'll pick up a copy and give it a reread. There's good reason it has become a childhood classic! ☺

Yvonne said...

I haven't heard of this one before, but it sounds good.

Heather said...

*Gasp* You've never heard of Bridge to Terabithia?! I think you'd like this one, Yvonne.