Monday, August 18, 2014

Teaser Tuesday 231: No Graves As Yet

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

* Grab your current book or recent read.
* Share a few "teaser" sentences from somewhere in the book.
* BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (Make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away. You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
* Share the title and author so that other participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teaser!



This week I am reading a novel by Anne Perry set in Cambridge during WWI, No Graves As Yet. This is the last passage read before walking out of the house this morning, and is one I think will resonate with many.


"Strike and counterstrike, revenge for this or that--justice, from the other point of view. Isn't it the responsibility of thinking men to stop the cycle and reach for something better? . . . Isn’t that what all this [education] is for, to teach us something better than 'you hurt me, so I'll hurt you back'? Aren't we supposed to be leading the way to a higher morality?"





ABOUT THE BOOK:
Series: World War I, Book 1

On a sunny afternoon in late June 1914, Cambridge professor Joseph Reavley learns that his parents have died in an automobile crash. Joseph's brother, an officer in the Intelligence Service, reveals that their father had been en route to London with the mysterious secret document--allegedly possessing the power to disgrace England and destroy the civilized world. Now that explosive paper has vanished, and Joseph is left to wonder: How had it fallen into the hands of his father, a quiet countryman? But Joseph is soon burdened with a second tragedy: the shocking murder of his most gifted student, who was loved and admired by everyone. Or so it appeared. And as England's seamless peace begins to crack, the distance between the murder of an Austrian archduke and the death of a brilliant student grows shorter every day.




19 comments:

Beth at PlantPostings said...

Sounds like a great book! I'll look forward to reading your blog during the winter, too. When I can't garden (or I need a break), I'm an avid reader. Good way to pass the winter months!

Heather said...

Thanks, Beth! I'm not too far into it yet, but what I have read definitely has me intrigued and curious to see where things are going. Between books and all the photos I've been taking this summer, I'm sure to have plenty of fodder well into winter. ☺

Yvonne said...

I like the sounds of this one. I've never read Anne Perry's books.

Heather said...

MadameV: I keep seeing Perry's name bandied about, but had never read her before. Naturally I had to scoop this one up when I came across it, and was pleased that it is the first in the series. ☺

Heather said...

Yvonne: This is a new-to-me author, and so far the writing is good. I've heard a lot about her Christmas stories, so will have to keep an eye out for some of those. ☺

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

The excerpt is so wonderful. Love the sentiments of it, and wonder why nobody seems to try something else, other than violence.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Heather said...

Laurel-Rain: Thank you, I really like this apassage, and the conversation that followed, though it was quite philosophical. Really makes one think, doesn't it?

Sandra Nachlinger said...

This sounds like a great story. I like the setting -- both time and place.
My Teaser is from KATIE & THE IRISH TEXAN.

Kristin said...

Sounds like some good historical fiction!

Here's my teaser:
http://www.owlcatmountain.com/2014/08/19/tuesday-teaser-august-19/

Heather said...

Sandra: I don't know that I've ever read anything set in this time period, so the historical aspect has been interesting. It interests me on a personal lever, too, as my grandfather immigrated to the US not long before England entered the fray.

Heather said...

Kristin: It has been good so far, and the historical context has been interesting.

Cleopatra Loves Books said...

This sounds brilliant - I want to know more! Here is my TT http://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com/2014/08/19/teaser-tuesday-august-19/

Heather said...

Thanks, Cleo -- I'm to have intrigued you. ☺

kayerj said...

I like the teaser, I wish all thinking men were reasonable. Thanks for stopping by. I always like reading books recommended to me by others, then we can discuss them. Nice list today. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

Heather said...

Thanks, Kelley! If only more people in general were reasonable, eh? :-?

Tracy said...

Very intriguing motivational speech. :) Good tease! Thanks for visiting The Coffee Pot and my My TT. Happy reading.

Heather said...

Thanks, Tracy, and thanks for stopping by!

JLS Hall said...

Wonderful teaser - and so true! I've never read anything by Anne Perry, and I've been looking for a book set in this period, so I'll definitely be taking a look at this one. Hope you enjoy it.

Heather said...

Thanks, Joy -- and how propitious that it is a book set during a time period you are looking for! ☺