Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Thursday Thirteen 345: Literature Found in Austen



This week I've been (re)reading Emma by Jane Austen for a group read. I first read this one back in high school, and while many tout this as their favorite Austen, it is my least prefered. Austen frequently references some of the classics and popular novels of the time -- books she herself had read -- in her novels. Here are thirteen I found online for free (with one exception for 99 cents).



01. The Vicar of Wakefield by Oliver Goldsmith (Emma)
Project Gutenberg * Amazon

02. The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe (Northanger Abbey)
Project Gutenberg * Amazon

03. A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare (Emma)
Project Gutenberg * Amazon

04. The Monk: A Romance by M. G. Lewis (Northanger Abbey)
Project Gutenberg * Amazon

05. History of Tom Jones, a Foundling by Henry Fielding (Northanger Abbey)
Project Gutenberg * Amazon

06. Camilla; or, A Picture of Youth by Fanny Burney (Northanger Abbey)
Project Gutenberg * Amazon

07. Evelina, Or, the History of a Young Lady's Entrance into the World by Fanny Burney (Pride and Prejudice)
Project Gutenberg * Amazon

08. The Lady of the Lake by Walter Scott (Persuasion)
Project Gutenberg * Amazon ($.99)

09. Marmion: A Tale of Flodden Field in Six Cantos by Walter Scott (Persuasion)
Project Gutenberg * Amazon

10. The Rivals: A Comedy by Richard Brinsley Sheridan (Mansfield Park)
Project Gutenberg * Amazon

11. Lover's Vows by Mrs. Inchbald and August von Kotzebue (Mansfield Park)
Project Gutenberg * Amazon

12. The School for Scandal by Richard Brinsley Sheridan (Mansfield Park)
Project Gutenberg * Amazon

13. Othello by William Shakespeare (Mansfield Park)
Project Gutenberg * Amazon


And for those who may be interested in reading Emma, it is also available for free online:
Project Gutenberg * Amazon


LINKING TO: Thursday Thirteen





9 comments:

Beth at PlantPostings said...

Great resource--Thanks for the list. I will check them out!

Heather said...

Thanks, Beth! A couple of these caught my eye early last year, when I reread Northanger Abbey, but I've yet to get round to reading any of them.

Alice Audrey said...

Ah! You've got The Mysteries of Udolpho! I ran across that in a university library ages ago but didn't have a chance to read it. Thanks.

colleen said...

Recommended by Austen herself in a way. Pretty cool.

Heather said...

Alice: I've seen Mysteries of Udolpho mentioned in different lit over the years but, like you, have yet to read it. One of these days... ☺

Heather said...

Colleen: They are indeed! ☺

Heather said...

Thanks, Sandy!

Alice Audrey said...

When I ran across it in the library, I started to read it right there, but was run off by other patrons who wanted a book in that area. I couldn't decide if I liked it enough to read the whole thing, and I've been wondering years later.

Heather said...

Sounds like you need a copy then, in order to find out what you think of it. ;-)