Monday, November 17, 2014

Teaser Tuesday 242: The Phantom Tollbooth

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

* Grab your current book or recent read.
* Share a few "teaser" sentences from somewhere in the book.
* BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (Make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away. You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
* Share the title and author so that other participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teaser!




This week I am reading the classic children's book, The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster. Here is the book's intro:



There was once a boy named Milo who didn't know what to do with himself — not just sometimes, but always.

When he was in school he longed to be out, and when he was out he longed to be in. On the way he thought about coming home, and coming home he thought about going. Wherever he was he wished he were somewhere else, and when he got there he wondered why he'd bothered. Nothing really interested him — least of all the things that should have.

"It seems to me that almost everything is a waste of time," he remarked one day as he walked dejectedly home from school. "I can't see the point in learning to solve useless problems, or subtracting turnips from turnips, or knowing where Ethiopia is or how to spell February." And, since no one bothered to explain otherwise, he regarded the process of seeking knowledge as the greatest waste of time of all.

(Chapter 1)




ABOUT THE BOOK:
Genre: Children's/young adult fantasy

Read Chapter one here.

Illustrated in black-and-white. Originally published in 1961, this edition includes the 35th anniversary essay by Maurice Sendak.

This ingenious fantasy centers around Milo, a bored ten-year-old who comes home to find a large toy tollbooth sitting in his room. Joining forces with a watchdog named Tock, Milo drives through the tollbooth's gates and begins a memorable journey. He meets such characters as the foolish, yet lovable Humbug, the Mathemagician, and the not-so-wicked "Which," Faintly Macabre, who gives Milo the "impossible" mission of returning two princesses to the Kingdom of Wisdom . . .




16 comments:

Paul S said...

I re-read The Phantom Tollbooth recently as part of a get-in-the-whimsical-spirit exercise. I must have been eight or nine when I last read the book, and having finished it now at thirty-plus, I’m not sure why it isn’t required reading for adults.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Very intriguing excerpt...and now I definitely want to know what happens to Milo...thanks for sharing.

Here's mine: “THE POCKET WIFE”

Unknown said...

SOunds really good :)

http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2014/11/teaser-tuesdays.html

Unknown said...

Aww, I was the anti-Milo growing up. This makes me want to keep reading to see if he discovers something he really gets interested in. Great pick!

This week it's all fantasy with My Teasers.

Heather said...

Paul: A good question -- this is an excellent book for all ages.

Thanks, Laurel-Rain -- I am enjoying Milo's journey. The word play is fun and whimsical.

Heather said...

Valentina: I am enjoying this book so far. Some kids' books are even better as an adult. ☺

Me too. *G* I loved trips to the library, and was never at a loss for something to do -- especially if I had a few books to read. ☺

Alice Audrey said...

Hey, that was more than two sentences! So of course I got totally sucked in.

Heather said...

Alice: I did say I was sharing the intro this week, LOL. Definitely a book that pulls you in. I think writers would especially enjoy this one. ☺

Jaina said...

Great TT! I read this for school many years ago, but wound up reading the entire thing in about three sittings instead of following my assigned reading schedule. My teacher/mother (I'm homeschooled) wasn't very upset. ;) By the way, my TT is also about a MG book, MASTERPIECE by Elise Broach. I'd love it if you could take a minute to check it out!

Heather said...

jaina: Isn't it a wonderful and imaginative book? I'm glad your "teacher" wasn't upset about you reading ahead of schedule. ;-)

Cleopatra Loves Books said...

Love the nostalgic read of your teaser - poor Milo. I love it! Thanks for visiting my TT http://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com/2014/11/18/teaser-tuesday-november-18/

Heather said...

Thanks, Cleo -- I don't know how I missed this one growing up. ☺

Yvonne said...

I haven't heard of this one before. Sounds good.

Anonymous said...

I've never read this. When I saw the title, I thought of The Hardy Boys, but they apparently never found a phantom tollbooth. I'll have to find a copy of this to read...sounds intriguing.

Unknown said...

This sounds really enthralling :)

Thanks for dropping by my blog ♥

Heather said...

Thanks, Nyze, it was an engaging read. ☺