Thursday, May 21, 2015

Thursday Thirteen 374: Curtis Prairie

Last Friday, 19 May, I spent the afternoon at the UW Arboretum. Skies were mostly cloudy, but it was warm and a bit humid -- not a bad day for a long walk. Here are a few pics from Curtis Prairie, where I started my visit.

It's that time of year when the prairie is becoming greener day by day, and there is something new coming up every week. What you see today may not be there a day or two later (such as bluets), while some species bloom for several weeks.




Looking out over Curtis Prairie, UW Arboretum


Eastern Shooting Star


Looking west towards Curtis Pond, UW Arboretum


Wood Betony


One of the narrower trails through Curtis Prairie --
this one is a short loop near Curtis Pond


Yellow Star Grass


Bluets, also known as Quaker Ladies.


Wild Strawberry


Leafy Spurge


Golden Alexander

Cream Indigo -- this is the only one I saw, but it won't be long before the prairies are covered with it.


Another path across Curtis Prairie. Be careful on this boardwalk, especially
after it rains -- it was squishing and moving under my feet.


Looking across Curtis Prairie towards the Leopold Pines



LINKING TO: Thursday Thirteen







16 comments:

Mia Celeste said...

I love it when you visit the UW Arboretum. You always share lovely pictures afterward. Thanks.

I like the Quaker Ladies and the Wild Strawberries.

http://otherworlddiner.blogspot.com/2015/05/thirteen-zinger-questions.html

Heather said...

Thanks, Mia! I'm glad people appreciate my walks and the photos I share. Heaven knows I take more than enough pictures! ☺

eileeninmd said...

Pretty sky and a lovely flowers. Looks like a beautiful place for a walk. Lovely photos.

Heather said...

Eileen: Thank you, it is a beautiful place to walk, especially right now with all the flowering trees in bloom.

colleen said...

I love the way the shooting stars drops and how the stone and wood make walkways.

Heather said...

Colleen: Shooting stars are one of my favorite prairie flowers. I love that stone path, but you really have to watch your footing, especially if there has been recent rain.

Alice Audrey said...

I feel like I just took a really nice walk. Thanks.

CountryDew said...

The flowers are quite lovely, but for some reason I was really drawn to the photo of the rock walk way. I felt like it was taking me somewhere.

Paige Tyler said...

Great pics! I love flowers! :)

*hugs*
Paige

My TT is at http://paigetylertheauthor.blogspot.com

mittens said...

what lovely pictures. It must be exquisite in full bloom

Beth at PlantPostings said...

The Curtis Prairie is just starting its big show now, isn't it? Interesting: The plant you mention as "Bluet" I've always heard it called "Blue-Eyed Grass" (Sisyrinchium angustifolium). It was blooming in Florida when I was there in March. Beautiful plant!

Forgetfulone said...

I love your photos! I would love to just go out to the arboretum and take different shots, but I'd probably have to go alone. I would love to learn more about photography. I'm such a beginner.

Heather said...

Alice: Thanks, that's one of the best comments ever!

Anita: Thank you for another great comment. :-)

Thanks, Paige -- I' m glad you liked them!

Heather said...

Mittens: It is indeed something to see in full bloom. There's something new blooming every week.

Beth: Both prairies are just beginning to show their beauty -- some similar plants on both, some different. I found several lady's-slippers on Greene Prairie Friday.

Forgtfulone: I love being able to visit the Arboretum anytime I want, alone or with one of the guided walks. I tend to take more photos when there on my own.

Jana said...

Beautiful landscapes. But eep! on that squishy boardwalk. I can see myself being one who fell off and hurt something. lol

Heather said...

The squishy boardwalks do add a bit of adventure, LOL. I was disappointed this week to see Greene Prairie is closed due to wet conditions. Understandably, since you can see the standing water from the bike path along the southern edge, but still -- I wanted to see the lady's slippers I know are (or were) in bloom this week.