Sunday, October 25, 2015

Random Photo: Lost in a Ma(i)ze





I’d never been in a cornfield before and I didn’t like it. I couldn’t see anything, yet my peripheral vision kept registering movement because the desiccated stalks and leaves were trembling in the soft wind. Despite the breeze, the air was unpleasantly heavy and tasted faintly of dust, mold, and hidden corruption. Then there was the bleak, parched, and almost spectral rustling of the corn shocks, a despairing sound easy to imagine as polite applause from an invisible audience of skeletons.

~The Mournful Teddy, by John J. Lamb





(I've been waiting all year to post this quote for when I had appropriate photos.)






6 comments:

Beth at PlantPostings said...

I remember having those types of feelings, too, but I associate them with a thrill of autumn spooky fun. It is a strange, disorienting sensation, though.

Anonymous said...

Lovely shot! I never imagined feeling that bad in a cornfield though...

Lea said...

It's the time of year for cornfield mazes. There are several around here for family fun.
Have a wonderful week!
Lea

Heather said...

Beth: Though it's typical to feel some disorientation in a corn maze, I personally have never felt as spooked as the character/book quoted -- but then, I guess there's a huge difference between neat, twisty paths of a GPS-planned maze and trying to navigate narrow row upon narrow row of corn.

Thanks, Ladyfi! I couldn't resist photographing my niece as she led us through the maze. Too bad we missed a shot of her literally bouncing off of a corn stalk. :D

Lea: It is indeed! We have several in our area, each offering a variety of other events as well. The maze we went to also offers night events that include the maze and a "Haunted Forest."

Alice Audrey said...

It's pretty accurate. But then, that's the fun of it.

Heather said...

Yup! :)