Thursday, January 19, 2017

Thursday Thirteen 445: Recently Read

Below are featured the latest books read, all but two of which were finished in 2016. I exceeded my goal in the Goodreads Challenge, finishing the year with 84/80 books read. I have set my 2017 goal at 80 once again. As always, click on any cover or link for more information.














ABOUT THE BOOKS:


ROW 1:
The Cat, The Collector and The Killer is book seven of a favorite series by Leann Sweeney called "Cats in Trouble," and Grace Against the Clock is book five in the "Manor House" series by Julie Hyzy. I enjoyed both of these. Hooked on Murder is book one in the "Crochet" series by Betty Hechtman, who was the November Featured Author in the Cozy Mysteries group.

ROW 2: One Book in the Grave is book five in the “Bibliophile” series by Kate Carlisle. I have quite a few more to catch up on in this series. Three Bedrooms, One Corpse is book three in the “Aurora Teagarden” series by Charlaine Harris. I plucked this one out of Mount TBR after attending a discussion with Harris during the Wisconsin Book Festival (plus, it fit a mini reading challenge). Again, several more in the series — not to mention three other series by Harris— to catch up on. Passenger to Frankfurt was the December group read for an Agatha Christie group at GR. Though written in 1970, there were many passages that eerily described what has been happening in this country (and the world) recently. Too bad the general unrest and divisiveness around the world cannot be as easily resolved as it can in a novel.

ROW 3: The Visitor is the long-anticipated fourth book in the “Graveyard Queen” series by Amanda Stevens. I look forward to books five and six, and learning where the plot is going! Rest Ye Murdered Gentleman is book one of the "Year-Round Christmas" series by Vicki Delany, and was a good start to the series. The Nights Before Christmas is an older book by Vicki Lewis Thompson and was a nice, steamy read to heat things up for the holidays.

ROW 4: Holidays on Ice by David Sedaris is a book I had heard about at Goodreads, and which many recommended. Aside from the first story, "The Santaland Diaries," and one or two other shorter ones, I was greatly disappointed. It wasn’t as funny as I’d been led to believe — or maybe it just isn’t my brand of humor. In any case, I did not like it overall. Thankfully, the next two books read were much more to my liking. A Redbird Christmas by Fannie Flagg was a December 2010 group read for TNBBC, but I only recently came across a copy of the book. I’m surprised Hallmark hasn’t made this one into a movie, as it would fit their December lineup perfectly. Similarly, Starry Night by Debbie Macomber is a perfect fit for the holiday season. While Holidays on Ice may be destined for the library monthly used book sale, these two are definite keepers.

ROW 5: The Stranger by Albert Camus was the November group read for a Classics group at GR. This book read surprisingly fast and was often difficult to put down. In fact, I nearly finished it on the bus to work, and stood at the bus stop to read the last page. The novel is divided into two parts, and people were generally disturbed by how part two played out. Definitely thought-provoking!


Your turn: What are you reading?




LINKING TO: Thursday Thirteen






8 comments:

Mia Celeste said...

Thanks for the book reviews. I added The Visitor and the Stranger to my Goodreads-want to read list. I just joined Goodreads and I'd love to be your friend there, too. Please look for me.

Heather said...

Mia: You're welcome! Note that The Visitor is book four in a series. I highly recommend reading them in order, as events from the first three are referenced in the fourth. BTW, I left my GR profile link on your blog a couple weeks ago.

Alice Audrey said...

I think I managed to get all the way up to twenty books this year. A far cry from my hay day of well over a hundred.

Heather said...

I've only had one dark year when my reading total was that low. '-)

zippiknits...sometimes said...

I've taken note of all your books,as it looks like a lovely lot. Thanks for sharing, truly.
Yikes, such alliteration! 😵

colleen said...

That is such a boring title for David Sedaris, whose last book was "Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls." I'm going back now to take another look.

Lady In Read said...

just a diverse set of books you have there.. will be checking out a few of these books definitely from the library.

CountryDew said...

I only managed about 25 books this year, which was about half of what I normally read. Being sick and on pain meds makes it difficult to read. I love Fannie Flagg - Not every book of hers is great but they are never bad. At the moment I am not reading. I am trying to do my taxes. Ha.