Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Vagaries of Smoke Detectors

Oh, sure... The fickle thing beeps when I try to make a pizza or fry squash, but when I accidentally set a pot holder on fire -- it doesn't so much as squawk.

Yes, I'm okay and I didn't burn the building down. I was browning off some pork chops before seasoning and popping them in the oven for a couple hours. While trying to flip one over, the pan shifted, and the pot holder along with it. Next I knew, it was on fire, but mostly just smoked before I doused it with water.

And hey -- at least it was the pot holder, NOT my hand. Third degree burns would definitely suck!

Oh, and ten minutes later, when I opened the oven to place the pan of chops inside? Guess what went off, after the crisis was over? Seriously. *Rolls eyes*


Nina said...

I'm so glad you're okay. You're good enough at injuring yourself without adding fire.

Ah yes, the smoke detectors... They go off at the most strange times. I had one once that went off every time I popped popcorn in microwave (it got hoarse after a while) and when I lit a candle. One single candle and it went nuts. Ah well, I'd rather have a smoke detector that's nuts than none at all. Did you know it's mandatory here to have smoke detectors?


Heather said...

Smoke detectors are required here, too. In fact, apartment dwellers face fines for disconnecting them or removing batteries, and landlords are supposed to do routine checks to make sure tenants are in compliance, and that they work. They can be annoying, but also save lives.

Maggie Nash said...

I'm glad you came through that okay H. You were lucky not to get a burn!

How scary!