Friday, May 01, 2009

Happy May Day!



Happy May Day!

Do school children still participate in this ancient custom? I remember an elementary school celebration in the gymnasium when I was in first grade. There were a couple of maypoles erected and classes took turns weaving bright crepe paper streamers in and out around the poles. In college, it was tradition for English majors to meet at dawn on the lawn of professor who headed the English department and wake him with a May dance. I have no idea when or how that tradition started, or if it continued after he retired.

I also remember making little paper may baskets that were delivered anonymously to neighbors filled with some flowers, or candy or homemade cookies. I don't think many people do that any more, either. The traditions we lose over the years...


2 comments:

Deena said...

There are thousands of May Day celebrations happening today - most of them by Neopagans who celebrate Beltaine. It's a beautiful custom that is still alive. :)

Alice Audrey said...

I remember having a lot of fun with it when I was a kid, but when I mentioned it to my kids, they had no clue. I guess they've never done it.