Monday, November 23, 2009

Monday Movie Meme: Victory

Share on your blog movies focusing on champions, victories and winners and link back to The Bumbles. And don't forget to visit your fellow participants to find their recommendations!

Five movies that instantly came to mind:

Miracle (2004) - Miracle tells the true story of Herb Brooks (Russell), the player-turned-coach who led the 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team to victory over the seemingly invincible Russian squad. One member of that team, Mark Johnson, coaches the UW women's hockey team, and is also headcoach of the 2010 Olympic women's team.

Jerry MaGuire (1996) - When a sports agent has a moral epiphany and is fired for expressing it, he decides to put his new philosophy to the test as an independent with the only athlete who stays with him.

Akeelah and the Bee (2006) - Changing the world... one word at a time. A young girl from South Los Angeles tries to make it to the National Spelling Bee.

National Velvet (1944) - A jaded former jockey helps a young girl prepare a wild but gifted horse for England's Grand National Sweepstakes.

Remember the Titans (2000) - I love this movie! The true story of a newly appointed African-American coach and his high school team on their first season as a racially integrated unit.



9 comments:

Forgetfulone said...

I love Akeelah and the Bee! I've seen Jerry MacGuire and included Titans on my list. I may have to check out the other two!

The Gal Herself said...

Jerry Maguire is an inspired choice. I just saw that again recently and was so impressed!

Lulu said...

I like Jerry Maquire too! thanks for visiting my entry

Heather said...

Forgetfulone - Akeelah was one I just saw earlier this year, and I loved it. What an inspiring movie for today's kids!

Gal - Thank you. I love that moment at the end when Cuba catches the ball, resulting in what could have been a dangerous fall and still has the ball clutched tight in his hands. And then, of course, there's that final line of the movie - "You had me at hello." Sniff...

Lulu - Thanks, and thank you for visiting my blog!

Heather G. said...

Some really great ones in there! Akeelah and the Bee is so great!

Unknown said...

I'm going to have to give Jerry Maguire a second chance. I didn't really like it the first time I saw it. Thanks for the suggestions!

Heather said...

Heather ~ Thanks! I really liked Akeelah - wish I had seen it in the theater!

Boliyou ~ I think whether you like JM depends on how much you like romances or romantic comedies, both of which I love. Thinking I need to dig this one out and watch it again soon.

The Bumbles said...

Oh totally Jerry Maguire. Tom Cruise may be a nut job in reality but he is an awesome actor in most everything he does.

Heather said...

So true about Tom Cruise, though can't that be said of many actors?