Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Rodent Prognostication Day

Today is Rodent Prognostication Day -- otherwise known as Groundhog Day. Normally on this happy morn, Jimmy the Groundhog would greet his adoring fans at dawn and offer up his prediction for the next six weeks.

I'm sure you know how this works by now. If the groundhog sees his shadow, expect six more weeks of winter. If the groundhog does not see his shadow, expect an early spring.

And if the groundhog, like most of the humans in the area, refuses to stick his little nose out of his burrow...? I think we're in deep doo-doo.

Or, more precisely, extremely deep snow.

[NOTE: Apparently Jimmy the Groundhog did eventually tweet his forecast, and is predicting an early spring. Yeah, right. *Looks out window* Somehow I don't quite believe him.]

So, blizzard. The snow started around 4pm yesterday and fell throughout the night and early morning hours. Coupled with sustained winds of 25-30mph and gusts of 40-45 mph, the heavy snow made for some wicked weather, with whiteout conditions at times. While the winds have died back a bit, I can still hear it, and it is making for a lot of blowing and drifting snow, especially in outlying areas.



We had 6 inches of snow from the first round of snow Monday into Tuesday morning. So far the estimate for round two is 12.4, for a grand total of 18.4 inches of snow over three days. That total may go up, as more light snow is possible today, before the system moves out over the Great Lakes. Right behind it, however, is another damn Alberta Clipper. I don't mind the snow, I honestly don't, but I grow weary of these arctic blasts.

[NOTE: They did adjust the total to 12.7 and 18.7 for this second round of snow.]

Lots of closures today, as you can imagine. Both the Dane County and Milwaukee airports are closed, and you aren't getting out of Chicago, either. Which sucks for anyone who had plans to head down to Dallas for the Super Bowl. Sorry, you're stuck here with the rest of us poor slobs. At least for today. Madison Metro has also canceled service for today, and all schools in Southern Wisconsin are closed. Sections of I-90, I-94 and I-43 are/were also closed, particularly in the Milwaukee area and along the Ill/Wis border.

The governor has declared a snow emergency in 29 counties, and has even called out the National Guard. However, showing how truly stupid he is (and I just want to emphasize that I did not vote for him), all state employees are expected to report to work today, even though all government offices are closed to the public and many roads still impassable. Yup, he's a bonafide brain trust. NOT.

As for me, I am currently at home, but may be going in to work for a few hours this afternoon, provided roads are deemed safe. Much as I'd love the snow day, I really can't afford to miss the time. I'm still struggling to catch up after the couple of sick days after Christmas. Sigh... I really need a bit more income coming in. If I do end up with a snow day, I may bundle up (since I'm dressed anyway) and venture out for some pictures. Maybe. Just don't hold your breath.

[NOTE (8:20pm): I did end up going into work from 12:30-6pm. For the most part, roads were not too bad. There were a few sections of HWY M earlier in the day where only a lane and a half (if that) were open due to four foot drifts, but it was completely cleared by 6pm. Our parking lot, however, not so much. Hard to clear the snow when hardly any vehicles move during the day. Some are completely blocked in by piles of snow. It was a long and busy afternoon, and I was soooo tired by the time I got home. Just want to drop, but I think people are expecting a Thursday Thirteen post. Sigh. Off to come up with a topic...]



3 comments:

Jana said...

Guess y'all will just hafta take Phil's word for it this year, huh? ;-)

Seriously, stay warm and safe. Fingers crossed that this is the last big storm ya'll have to deal with.

Heather said...

Jimmy has a higher rate of accuracy. ;)

I hope it's the last big storm of the season, but a friend and I were remarking just the other night on how we hadn't had a blizzard or a monsoon on my birthday in a few years. Guess I'm due. *gulp*

Alice Audrey said...

I feel for you. Hopefully this will be the last bad storm of this winter.