Monday, June 06, 2011

Splash!







Can I just say that itis far too hot for this time of year? We had temps in the high 80s over the weekend (heat index in the 90s), and are experiencing temps in the 90s today through Wednesday. The heat index for Tuesday is supposed to be around 100F. In early June! In Wisconsin! If it's this hot in June, what the heck is August going to bring? *whimper*



Saturday, my younger sister, BIL and two nieces (cousins, not sisters) were up for the day. We started out at the Farmers' Market and Cows on the Concourse on the Capitol Square, had lunch at Ella's Deli, then went to Tenney Beach where the girls splashed in the water about an hour before we wandered over to watch a few of the boats coming through the Tenney Locks. Neither girl had seen locks before, so both thought them pretty cool. The locks connect Lake Mendota to the Yahara River, which runs between Lakes Mendota and Monona. We ended the day with a stop at the Memorial Union Terrace where we enjoyed Babcock Dairy ice cream while listening to live music. Mmm...



Needless to say, after all the sun and heat and walking Saturday, I wasn't up to doing much Sunday. I watched a movie and spent most of the day reading, though I did venture out for a walk the evening. Only did three miles as it was still 86F at 7pm. Crazy! This is Wisconsin, not Mississippi!



Thankfully, the weather is supposed to be more "seasonable" next weekend.



9 comments:

Alice Audrey said...

We're supposed to be hot now. We don't generally get much of a Spring, so this year is just weird.

Heather said...

We had one of the coldest Aprils on record, and May wasn't much better. But, while warmer temps are appreciated, 90s are a bit extreme. Good thing I have a walking DVD, 'cause there is NO WAY I am walking outside in 90-degree temps with a heat index near 100. Just not happenin'.

Alice Audrey said...

How does a walking DVD work?

Heather said...

Alice: The walking DVD I have is by Leslie Sansone. She has a tone of different workouts--mine is the 5 Day Slim Down, which has a 5-min warm up, a 9-min cool down, and five 1-mile walks. It's good cardio, keeps you moving for 14-min increments (or twelve, if you do mile 5, the speed walk). Total run time if you do the complete workout is 82 minutes.

From the back of the DVD: "Choose between 5 different invigorating 1 mile walks, or combine them together for all day fat burning that doesn't stop even when you do."

She starts you out with the basic walking in place, then adds in different moves such as side steps, leg kicks, knee lifts (this one is the hardest for me, having injured both knees a couple of times), and back kicks.

Once you are familiar with the moves, you can pretty much put on any music with a good beat and "walk" for however long you want.

There's a 3-minte mini-walk you can check out HERE at YouTube. I have this bookmarked at work, so I can do it when noone else is around.

Alice Audrey said...

So it's kind of like an aerobics work out. I thought maybe it was scenery that ran past while you walk on a treadmill or something.

Heather said...

Yes, but - aside from that one move - it's easier on the knees than an actual aerobic workout. I can't do aerobics, esp not step aerobics (it turns my legs to jelly), but have no trouble doing this.

Jana said...

Pah! Welcome to my world, Trix! bwahahahahaha

We've been sweltering since the last couple weeks in May. The only thing unusual about that is that it took so long to get that way.

Sounds like ya'll had fun, though. Glad you didn't suffer many ill effects from the heat.

Jana said...

PS: I'm gonna hafta look into that DVD you mentioned in the comments. I'm about tired of the two I have. Ready to switch it up a bit. Oh, and did I mention that my Denise Austin DVD broke? I wore that puppy out, I guess. Just as well. I was getting tired of it, too. ;-)

Heather said...

Somehow I should have known you'd feel no sympathy for me. Sniff...some friend!

We did have fun, even if it was a long and hot day. Ending with ice cream at the Memorial Terrace was perfection.

And how did you break Denise Austin?? *Shakes head* I think next time I'm over to Kim's I'll have to borrow one of her Leslie Sansone DVDs, seeing as she has several different ones than me.