Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Thursday Thirteen 335: Recently Read

Here's a look at some of the books I've been reading the last couple months. As always, click on any cover or link to find out more about a particular book from GoodReads.














BOOK NOTES


ROW 1: Nerd is the first in a romantic comedy series, and I have to be honest — I did not like this one as much as other books by VLT I've read. Victoria Laurie was the May Featured Author in the Cozy Mysteries group at GoodReads. Better Read Than Dead and A Vision of Murder are books two and three respectively in her "Psychic Eye" mystery series. The mysteries themselves are pretty good, but the author's "just then" fetish (see Monday's post) nearly killed me. It's unnecessary, distracting, and made me want to headslap the author with one of her books. It will be a good long while before I attempt another in this series.

ROW 2: The three in this row are all short stories or novellas that were free from B&N. The first two were okay, but I did not like the latter. Beauty and the Best Man (still free): Nook / Kindle * You Send Me (now $2.99): Nook / Kindle * The Stolen Child (still free): Nook / Not available on Kindle

ROW 3: The romantic suspense row, and not a bad read among them. Night Diver was the latest offering from Elizabeth Lowell. Blood Brothers is the book one in NR's Sign of Seven series — I have book two slated for this month. The Witness is a single title release from NR that was out a year or two ago.

ROW 4: Grace Interrupted and The Lost Symbol were both read for recent mini-challenges in the Cozy Mystery group, and I enjoyed catching up on both of these series. Leslie Meier was the April Featured Author for the same group. Mistletoe Murder is book one of the Lucy Stone series. It was an okay read, but did not inspire me to read more of the series.

ROW 5: One Hundred Years of Solitude was the April Classics group read. Not bad, but not an easy or fast read, either. Sadly, the author passed away while the group was reading and discussing his book.



What are you reading right now?



LINKING TO: Thursday Thirteen




12 comments:

Alice Audrey said...

It's uncanny how well the covers for A Vision of Murder and Better Read than Dead line up.

Jennifer Leeland said...

I quit reading Elizabeth Lowell because I started to feel that she got away from her stellar characterizations that I love. It seemed like her books got way more violent. I might try her latest since you liked it.

Heather said...

Alice: I noticed that after I had uploaded all of the coveres. Kind of creepy, isn't it?

Heather said...

Jennifer: I thought the characters and suspense in Night Diver were pretty good, and no more violent than the average rom-suspense.

CountryDew said...

The word "just" needs to be edited out entirely in a manuscript. When I did professional editing, it was on my list of words to eradicate immediately. It tightened a manuscript when I did that.

Heather said...

Anita: Ah, a kindred spirit! You would have been as annoyed as I, had you read some of the books I have these last two months.

Mia Celeste said...


I'm with you. I get "just then" angst, too. I haven't read any of the books you've listed, but I'm thinking about adding some of your titles to my to-read list.

Heather said...

Mia: Great minds think alike! It's good to know others are bothered by this as much as I am. ☺

Shelley Munro said...

Quite a mix this week. I'm reading Fatal Affair by Marie Force.

Heather said...

Shelley: Don't I usually have an eclectic mix? *G*

Unknown said...

Always good to come across another reader! You have quite an eclectic taste. I approve. :)

I chuckled at the cover line up, too.

Heather said...

Thanks, Emilie! That is a funny cover fluke, isn't it? I wonder if the publisher or author even realized? *G*