Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Thursday Thirteen 341: Recently Read

It's time for another edition of Recently Read. As always, click on any cover, or one of the links at the bottom, for more information about a given book.














BOOK NOTES

ROW 1: More Nora Roberts catch-up -- The Hollow is book two in her Sign of Seven trilogy. Daring to Dream and Holding the Dream are books one and two respectively in her Dream trilogy. I'll be reading the last two books in both series this month or August.

ROW 2: These were all new-to-me authors. The Groom's Gamble was a good historical romance novella, and Where There's Smoke is a novella by Jodi Picoult. First Grave on the Right is book one in the Charley Davidson series and was a bit of a disappointment for me. It was much recommended, and won a RITA for best first book, but I was not impressed.

ROW 3: The cozy mystery row! If Fried Chicken . . . was the first in Paige Shelton's Gram's Country Cooking School series. It was okay, but probably won't read more of this series. Avery Aames was the June featured author in the Cozy Mysteries group at Goodreads, so I read the next two books in her Cheese Shop series that were in Mount TBR, Lost and Fondue and Clobbered By Camembert. Still two books behind with this series.

ROW 4: The classics -- these were all for group reads: East of Eden, The Swiss Family Robinson, and The Sun Also Rises. I liked "E of E" and "TSAR," but did not much care for "TSFR" -- most people participating in the discussion actually said they prefered the movie version of "TSFR."

ROW 5: I was first introduced to Rascal in fourth grade, and it sparked a love of raccoons. The author, Sterling North, was a Wisconsin author who lived not too far south of where I am, and his boyhood home is now a museum and literary center.


What are YOU reading these days?



LINKING TO: More Thursday Thirteen lists




12 comments:

CountryDew said...

While I was in the hospital I started reading an LM Montgomery book, The Chronicles of Avalon. I have a Lee Smith book on my desk, and a fantasy book by my bed.

Heather said...

Anita: I loved the Anne of Green Gables series when I was in school, and still have both Anne movies that came out. ☺

Alice Audrey said...

From Nora to Hemingway it's quite the mix.

Heather said...

alice: Always! And only I would read the two in the same week, right? :-D

Paige Tyler said...

No romantic suspense this time!

*hugs*
Paige

My TT is at http://paigetylertheauthor.blogspot.com

Heather said...

No, not this time, just plain romance and one paranormal romance. Maybe next time! ;D

Amy said...

Thanks for stopping by!

A few on there I have read myself! Hope you enjoyed them all! :)

Heather said...

Thanks, Amy -- there was only one I didn't really care for, though the writing was good.

Alice Audrey said...

Now and then I'll do that. I consider Romance to be compatible with everything.

Heather said...

It all depends on your mood . . .

Jana said...

I'm ashamed to say that I haven't read anything heavier than a magazine in weeks. I've got no less than three books on my night stand but for some reason just haven't felt like picking any of them up. :-/

Heather said...

Jana: Only three on the nightstand?

Seriously, sometimes your brain needs a complete break from all the noise and visual stimulation around us.