Monday, September 08, 2014

Teaser Tuesday 233: Emma

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

* Grab your current book or recent read.
* Share a few "teaser" sentences from somewhere in the book.
* BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (Make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away. You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
* Share the title and author so that other participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teaser!




I have been reading Emma by Jane Austen for what seems like an eternity, but is in fact only a week. This is a revisit for a group read and, alas, I cannot say I am enjoying it any more this round than I did the first. Definitely not my favorite Austen, though I know many prefer it to her other works. Here's a snippet from where I've left off this Monday night:



It may be possible to do without dancing entirely. Instances have been known of young people passing many, many months successively without being at any ball of any description, and no material injury accrue either to body or mind; but when a beginning is made—when the felicities of rapid motion have once been, though slightly, felt—it must be a very heavy set that does not ask for more.

(Vol. 2, Ch 11)






ABOUT THE BOOK:

Beautiful, clever, rich - and single - Emma Woodhouse is perfectly content with her life and sees no need for either love or marriage. Nothing, however, delights her more than interfering in the romantic lives of others. But when she ignores the warnings of her good friend Mr. Knightley and attempts to arrange a suitable match for her protégée Harriet Smith, her carefully laid plans soon unravel and have consequences that she never expected. With its imperfect but charming heroine and its witty and subtle exploration of relationships, Emma is often seen as Jane Austen's most flawless work.



28 comments:

Yvonne said...

Good choice! I've been wanting to read this one and eventually I'm sure I'll get to it :)

Icy BC said...

I agree! Emma wasn't my favorite from Jan Austen either!

Heather said...

Yvonne: I hope you enjoy it more than I have! ☺

Heather said...

Icy: Thanks, it's good to know others feel the same as I do. :)

Unknown said...

I've never read this Austen title. Nice pick for the teaser though. I do love to dance.
My Teaser.

Heather said...

Thanks, Kerry-- I'm glad you liked the teaser. I think it shows off Austen's wry sense of humor nicely. ☺

Anonymous said...

Can't go wrong with classics!

Thanks for coming by mine for Barbara Hambly's A Free Man of Color at http://wp.me/pZnGI-cB

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I don't think I've actually read this one...I know I've seen the movie.

Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

Cleopatra Loves Books said...

I'm with you in that I'm not as keen on this as other's Austen wrote. Thanks for visiting my TT http://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com/2014/09/09/tuesday-teaser-september-9/

Unknown said...

A classic for sure.

My excerpt today from a soon-to-be-published young adult novel:

http://pdworkman.com/excerpt-from-steven-teasertuesdayont-forget-steven-teasertuesday/

Sarah Mortimer said...

I don't have much luck with classics - it always takes me twice as long to read them and I always think they lack dialogue and they just don't seem to hold my attention. But I hope you enjoy it. Here's my TT.

Unknown said...

I tried to read this quite a while ago and gave up. Not sure if I'll try again. Just didn't keep my attention for some reason.
Here is my tease - http://fuonlyknew.com/2014/09/09/teaser-tuesdays-80-unbroken-ties-by-m-latimer-ridley/

Heather said...

Madame V: No, you can never go wrong with the classics, though some may be better than others. *G*

Heather said...

Laurel-Rain: I haven't seen the movie yet, though I do have it to watch after (IF!) I ever finish the book. I do like the movie Cluelss, though, which is supposed to be based on Emma.

Heather said...

Cleo: It's nice to know there are like-minded people, isn't it? Thanks for stopping by!

Heather said...

Hi PD! Definitely a classic, no matter what my personal feelings towards it. ☺

Heather said...

Thanks for visiting, Sarah. Though I enjoy the occasional classic, this is - unfortunately - not one of them. It is taking me much longer to get through than some of the other - not to mention longer - classics I've read this year. :-\

Heather said...

I've been struggling with it myself, Laura, though the second part has gone faster than the first. Still, as it is for a group read and a couple of challenges, I am determined to try and finish. :-\

Sandra Nachlinger said...

I read this book long, long ago and should read it again. Thanks for the reminder!
Here's the link to my Tuesday post: Retirement Can Be Murder.

Heather said...

Sandra: It's been a long, long time since I first read this, too. As before, I am struggling to finish. :-\

Alice Audrey said...

So... bodies in motion want to remain in motion. Does this make Jane a social physicist?

Nise' said...

One of my favorites. Enjoy.

Heather said...

Alice: LOL, perhaps. Victorian society was very keen on natural philosophy (physics) and the metaphysical. ☺

Heather said...

Ah, Nise': Sorry to disappoint, but I have not been enjoying this one. Were it not for a group read as well as a few reading challenges, I doubt I would finish - which is extremely rare for me.

Unknown said...

Nice teaser! Love JA but don't think I've read Emma. Thanks for sharing!

Heather said...

Thanks, Andrea -- and thanks for visiting!

Unknown said...

Jane Austen is so elegant, I've yet to run into an author similar to her! Not sure if I ever will. Oh and I have not read Emma, nor have I seen the movie!

Heather said...

Claudia: I've loved all of Austen's novels except this one. I have a difficult time getting into this book or liking any of the characters. :-\